Carnation flowers and leaves for food?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Portland Oregon
Hello;
So I got a pair of Egyptian Tortoises and been getting into growing a variety of food for them. So I came across a dwarf carnation called Super Trouper that is extremely hard to kill and very prolific in flowers. I was wondering how good of a food item carnations would be for my torts. Is it a once in a while food or biweekly? Nutritional value?
thank you for reading, Gerry

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I couldn't find anything on Super Trouper, but dianthus (carnation) is edible.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I know they are edible as long as you grow them yourself and they are free of chemicals. I would never feed them from a florist. As far as nutritional content, I think they are fine as part of a varied diet once or twice a week. I have no Egyptian experience, but I've fed them to most of the other species at one time or another.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
as far as I could find carnation are not on any toxic list, so leaves and flowers should be fine, as long as they are not florist flowers, they are heavily spayed with chemicals.

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Portland Oregon
This SuperTrouper Dwarf Carnations I am growing right in the Tortoise Table. The planters are high enough so that the torts cant get at whats growing unless it grows out of the planter and drapes down. I use the tort poop for fertilizer works great actually.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
CyberianHusky said:
This SuperTrouper Dwarf Carnations I am growing right in the Tortoise Table. The planters are high enough so that the torts cant get at whats growing unless it grows out of the planter and drapes down. I use the tort poop for fertilizer works great actually.

The tortoise poop fertilizer thing has been working great for me too. I learned it from one of Maggies' posts a long time ago.

CyberianHusky

10 Year Member!
Portland Oregon
Seem natural to use the poop that way since bird and bat guano so amazing as fertilizers. Not sure if tort poop fertilizes like bat poop in that it is an amazing source of nitrogen for growth that breaks down to become a great source of potassium for blooming.

Status
Not open for further replies.