Carolina’s Red Eared Slider

nuttytortoisekeeper

Location (City and/or State)
Salt Lake City
Wife and I moved to North Carolina recently. We know turtles are pretty common here so there probably isn’t much need for this but here goes.

At one of the fishing pond in my areas I came across a slider going through the motions and laying.

The spot she picked doesn’t appear to be a very good one. It’s well frequented by walkers and fishers

Is there anyone who has interest in rescuing this clutch or is there a safe way to move them somewhere not so frequented? Or is this one of those times you just have to let nature be nature.

Attachments

• E82FB896-DB13-4F84-90ED-6F9593E4D0F0.jpeg
    E82FB896-DB13-4F84-90ED-6F9593E4D0F0.jpeg
    338.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 88BD3586-E736-4F91-A27E-9383587E75D6.jpeg
    88BD3586-E736-4F91-A27E-9383587E75D6.jpeg
    401.7 KB · Views: 1

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Wife and I moved to North Carolina recently. We know turtles are pretty common here so there probably isn’t much need for this but here goes.

At one of the fishing pond in my areas I came across a slider going through the motions and laying.

The spot she picked doesn’t appear to be a very good one. It’s well frequented by walkers and fishers

Is there anyone who has interest in rescuing this clutch or is there a safe way to move them somewhere not so frequented? Or is this one of those times you just have to let nature be nature.
Since red-eared Sliders are technically an invasive species in North Carolina, I would "let nature take its course". They are not native to that state as their native range starts west of your western most border. Although now common in N Carolina, they are still an invasive, introduced species.

nuttytortoisekeeper

Salt Lake City
Since red-eared Sliders are technically an invasive species in North Carolina, I would "let nature take its course". They are not native to that state as their native range starts west of your western most border. Although now common in N Carolina, they are still an invasive, introduced species.

Ah good to know. I’ve seen so many of them in these newer manufactured ponds I kind of assumed they were explicitly purchased and placed by the development company. Guess they get around quickly.