Carolina Pet Supply Seed Mix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenncure

5 Year Member
I've planted some Russian seed mix from Carolina pet supply, and this is what I get (see pic attached).

It seems like it's just some spindly grasses, and nothing else. Is this what it's supposed to look like? I was sure to seed very lightly. I'm not sure if it's possibly to seed any lighter. This patch was grown in a smaller pot, then transferred to my Russian's pen. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• seedmix.JPG
    seedmix.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 77

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
If you planted lightly, then you probably didn't get all of the types of weeds that are in the mix. Try planting several different seeds.

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Also, plants grow "spindly" when they're indoors without real sunlight.

pfara

10 Year Member!
Maryland
Yvonne G said:
Also, plants grow "spindly" when they're indoors without real sunlight.

I agree with Yvonne. Also, how long was it since you planted that? The seeds in that mix come up at different times with all the turnip greens coming up first at around day 3. The other seeds start showing up a few days later. Within 2 weeks, you should have something decent going. I believe 4 weeks is good enough for a root system to be well established for safe browsing/grazing.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
They do best seeded in flats outside, or better yet, directly in the ground. Seedlings establish roots before a lot of growth.
Summer isn't a great time to grow seeds, but early fall is, depending on what part of the country you live in.

Those are clover, but they do look spindly, a bit leggy due to lack of direct light.

Status
Not open for further replies.