Carsick Puppy

Rachel Sobran

Today I took my new puppy Ringo to Petco for some new toys and supplies. On the way there, he salivated and started foaming. 10 minutes later, he barfed. It was hot out today, is it possible that's the cause or is he carsick? He has been in cars before but not on the highway yet. He barfed twice on the way home? Suggestions welcome. Thanks!

P.S. He has giardia, if that helps.

Lisa Gove71

There are several things that might help.. First and formost.. Keep taking him for car rides. I can post some links to products instead of naming them.. Would those be helpful? My laptop is charging at the moment, but think i can help.. First what breed(s), how old? And what have you tried so far.

Rachel Sobran

the vet said we are to give him half a pill beforee every car ride. he is an australian cattle dog with a hint of beagle. he is 14.5 weeks old. he is now over his giardia and neutered

leigti

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
southeast Washington
I am no expert but I have old dogs for 30 years. It sounds like it was a combination of hot weather, existing Giardia, and possibly the longer drive. I would not take him out in public if he has Giardia. He may also be dehydrated from the Giardia. Once he is completely recovered from it just take him on slowly increasing longer rides

Rachel Sobran

he is recovered now and HATES (with a passion) the car. he will shake and foam even when it's not moving

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
he is recovered now and HATES (with a passion) the car. he will shake and foam even when it's not moving
Poor thing. That sounds like stress and fear. He didn't get car sick before? Maybe too many trips to the vet. My friends dog started hating the car after he had to go to the vet three times in one week. Maybe take him on short drives to only fun places for a while. Does he have a favorite park or something? Maybe some very slow desensitization training. Does he have a dog friend he hangs out with, how does he act if they are both in the car together? Is it only that car that bothers him? If all else fails you find yourself a good dog trainer in your area.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Our little dog was scared of car rides at night. We believe she was
pushed out of a car at night. We make a car ride fun by going thru
the drive thru of McDonald's for some kind of treat. French fries
always made our dogs happy ! No more car anxiety ~

Lisa Gove71

Tey doggy rescue remady. Make sure its the pet version though as the human type has Xyitol in it. Dont woory or coddle the dog either but make each car ride as FUN and as intereating as you can with a nice treat when you get home. It helps to compleretly ignore the dog while in the car too ( no coddling) dogs see this as something bad is going to happen, all ralking to your dog should be happy and up beat. I had two dogs go through car sickness,

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
Little bits of raw ginger root given by mouth 1/2 hour before the car ride should help.
You can buy it at most stores in the produce section.
I know quite a few people who have successfully used it for car sick puppies.

Lisa Gove71

Rescue remedy is natural and is a calming liquid, in is complelety wondeful!!! Ginger works, ginger snaps sometimes work, drugs you can use but leave as a last resort.

spud's_mum

United Kingdom
Being in the car (even short journeys) makes my dog have an upset stomach I don't know why but it does and he also gets really gassy in the car and can't sit still.