Cat 2 Gopher 0 *(warning: will see pic of losing team)*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Saratoga County, New York
I personally do not feel there is anything wrong with cats hunting. They are doing what comes naturally. I do not think they hunt only specific prey. If it moves, they will most likely kill it. I myself have four cats. When we first bought our house, my cats had free roam of the yard. I was constantly picking up dead animals. Rabbits, chipmunks, squirrels and birds, they were everywhere. Now, my cats are indoor cats, not due to hunting, but because they were getting hurt. George, my biggest cat, was hit by a car and had to have dental surgery to remove his fang and two other teeth that we're broken. Sometimes I feel bad that I am not letting them outside. Two of them don't seem to mind at all. The other two however, clearly want out. I leash trained them (go ahead and laugh, everyone else does :) ). Now, I take George on "walks" outside.

If some of my cats had not been injured, I wouldn't have a problem with them being outside hunting. I do think it's beneficial for controlling rodent populations. Whenever we get a little field mouse that comes into our garage/basement, I always think, "boy did you pick the wrong house". My cats usually kill it before I can finish the thought!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Wow...apologies here, did not intend for the thread to go in this direction. I live here in the high desert in California. I put food out for the birds (of which are non natives--house sparrows (Passer domesticus) are a very invasive non native species.....one that carry disease that can transfer from bird to human....they are native to Europe, Mediterranean Region and much of Asia...they were introduced into North America and other places...interestingly the area that they have the highest large number of sudden and widespread death rates are in the areas they were introduced into to...now I could go in and on about how unleaded fuel is a large killer of this bird as well as many others..so when someone makes comment about how cats are displacing native wildlife I would say to them...well then sell your car and buy a bike and a book on your area native species..find a tree (before those too are all gone) and educate yourself before you start tossing out media style false statements.

The squirrel killed and consumed was not our protected Mohave Squirrel ....so I am alright with nature taking its course (bias huh).

This awesome skilled cat has to be appreciated for her predatory retained skills...she is not a killer....she is a predator, big difference. She stalked...ambushed...killed...and consumed....she did not kill and run.

This human is grateful for her doing what she does. She does not sit and stalk the birds at the feeders and they share the ground water dish I set out....along with the peacock and guinea hens that have decided they like our property...we have hawks, falcons that of course do what they do to continue their life cycle....I do have to say
that it is absolutely normal for my heart to be sad and shed a tear if I happen to see
the moment she catches her prey....but that is my hang up as we humans are also designed that way...but then I remember that they have to survive as well and to get over myself....

Again...I apologize for this thread turning into this versus what I intended it to be.

Zamric

10 Year Member!
The Crystal Unicorn
My cat only hunts my yard (WalkingRocks Domain!) now but only after a BAD run in with a neibors dog! and she will only actively hunt those on the ground, even if she spends time on the roof. Her problem is, she doent like them to get away once she has them, so she brings them inside to play with then eventually leave dead in the dinning room... we find the occational squirral, bird, LOTS of lizards (mostly gecko) just laying at the base of the dinner table... we always find feathers all over the house before we find the birds... we find most of those alive.... with her in "Hunt" Mode!

bigred

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Best cat in the world, Doing what comes natural to her. What she is doing is no different than a Hawk or Owl swooping down and killing and EATING mice ia a field. Tom this is one of those cats you were talking about. Also this is the same cat that has been sleeping with my torts for years.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
OK this is not a debate thread, please move it to the debate section, thanks.

This is how topics go OT.

Kerryann

5 Year Member
West Bloomfield MI
What's funny is that I am the crazy animal loving vegetarian but I grew up out in the country with barn cats. The barn cats were well kept and they kept the varmits under control. I actually don't see an issue with well cared for outdoor cats when you are out in the country.
I do however have an issue with people who live in a subdivision like mine that let their cats roam outdoors. I too frequently see squished kitties in the road around my area. We live in an area where there isn't a ton of wild roaming areas, but there are lots of streets and driveways.
There is a neighbor down the road that has their cat on an electric fence :D and I thought they were slightly insane, but the cat stays in the yard.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
EricIvins said:
So cats being outside, killing native wildlife is a good thing?

Depends on what they're killing...

songbirds? Bad

rodents? Good

Of our 4 cats, only one is a "hunter", the other 3 won't go outside under ANY circumstances, and, in fact, cry if made to do so.

ce18930b-90f0-44b8-8bc2-4ae26498a5b9

Sourpuss' natural habitat​

Status
Not open for further replies.