Cat-Proofing Our Enclosure

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
We finally successfully cat-proofed Dante's enclosure!

We previously had a single piece of plexiglass over his enclosure that was originally meant to help hold in humidity, not to keep out Houdini-esque kittens. Once they figured out how to make the jump up, they were very interested in the heat light. Thankfully they were ONLY interested in the heat light. Aside from a brief meet-and-greet, they avoided Dante as he romped around. Dante seemed intrigued with the extra warm, furry beings and tried to climb on them. Yay warm things!

So the new cover is made up of 5 pieces of overlapping plexiglass supported by dowels. They are locked in place by the slit along the length of the wood we added to the top of the enclosure so they slide in and out. We cut smaller holes for the lights because that's how the mini-Houdinis were getting in (literally, all it took was 2-3" of space to fit through). So far it's working well! Dante seems happy with the re-designed interior (note the mess!) and probably wouldn't mind if those warm, furry beings visited again....but I'm glad they haven't :) Too nerve-wracking!!

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Amazing the tiny space they fit through! Love the picture of the cat looking up through the plexiglass, even tho he isn't supposed to be there. :p
I am impressed at your plexiglass hole cutting abilities!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Re: RE: Cat-Proofing Our Enclosure

lynnedit said:
Amazing the tiny space they fit through! Love the picture of the cat looking up through the plexiglass, even tho he isn't supposed to be there. :p

Thank you! It's all about patience.... I had to take over the power saw because my boyfriend insisted it 'doesnt go that slow' and would've cracked it. Hahaha oh boys...

I forgot to mention the cat pictures are from my security camera that I can view on my phone.... I was at work watching them and having a heart attack!

bouaboua

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
San Jose CA
Pokeymeg said:
lynnedit said:

Thank you! It's all about patience.... I had to take over the power saw because my boyfriend insisted it 'doesnt go that slow' and would've cracked it. Hahaha oh boys...

I forgot to mention the cat pictures are from my security camera that I can view on my phone.... I was at work watching them and having a heart attack!

I hope your boss are not reading this reply! WHAT ! ! ! ! ! Watching Tortoise security video at work!!. Or s/he will be one of us who understand that makes us work better. LOL.

Your enclosure are just nicely done. Nicely done...

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

bouaboua said:
Pokeymeg said:
lynnedit said:

I hope your boss are not reading this reply! WHAT ! ! ! ! ! Watching Tortoise security video at work!!. Or s/he will be one of us who understand that makes us work better. LOL.

Your enclosure are just nicely done. Nicely done...

Hahaha shhhh! Don't tell! I admit, I was fairly unproductive during the cat visit because I was ready to text my boyfriend to go home if the situation was not friendly (he works a lot closer to home than me)...I was very nervous! Typically though, I'm not watching at work :)

tmbarta

5 Year Member
Los Angeles, CA
Love your "cat in the box" pics. I too have a webcam on my tortoise enclosure, although ours is in an outside enclosure. It is cat proof, but we did catch a cat spying!
2013-10-26 14.27.49.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Ashes

5 Year Member
Iowa
Lol I would've had a heart attack seeing that from work!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA

littleginsu said:
Maybe you can get a nice UVB/basking light and make a cat enclosure!!

Lol They don't need one! Those spoiled bums have all the windows in the house :)

doletorts

10 Year Member!
I read this and i just think to myself "thank you cats for being so oblivious". We have 2 cats and in the 4 months we've had the tort i seriously don't even think they know he exists. I haven't even seen them looking at the tank once

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
This is what I like to see!! No cats inside the box :) Actually, I'd rather not see cats on top of the enclosure either, but I'll take what I can get!

Two white fuzz balls trying to soak up some heat...
1396904223252.jpg
1396904281519.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: