Cato Condo, the Tegu enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
United States
Okay sorry to keep everyone waiting and I know this is going to be a longer read but wanted to give some info., I have been insanely busy and I had to wait for decor to ship and come in and etc. Long story short, yes Cato now lives in his big enclosure because my dad was shifting the old tv stand and dropped it and it fell apart. So my 12 inch tegu is living the high life in his 6x4 enclosure. I know its not the fanciest looking on the outside but it serves its purpose :p Small little note.. I purchased a cute little log cabin dog house for the hide for when he's bigger, and it hasn't arrived yet and I'm not sure i'll put it in yet because he isn't big enough. I also ordered several ropes of fake ivy to hang from the ceiling to give it a jungly/foresty/canopy look, but I didn't realize it said it'd take 17-28 days to ship, so I am waiting for those. Basically one half is finished and the other is bare and waiting for the dog house. It's all a work in progress.
*** For those wanting to comment about lost floor space, I am sadly aware of the fact that a lot of decor is going to take up floor space, but I also wanted to let everyone know that I will be removing things as he gets bigger due to the fact that I've heard they rearrange the cage a lot. Right now with a giant cage in my room I want it to look fairly nice inside. Also Cato comes out of his cage twice a day for half an hour each, when he gets older he will have free roam of my room most of the time, so I'm not too concerned with taking up a little room in his cage.
*** ALSO, I just learned that the breeder I got him from probe sexes the babies so Cato for sure is a boy, which I am excited about :D
*** one last thing. Anyone with a closed chamber enclosure, I HIGHLY recommend getting the ExoTerra large waterfall with fogger combo. I ordered mine from LLL and it keeps the humidity perfect in my giant cage! I don't have to worry about spraying the mulch down, which cuts down on bugs greatly, plus it adds a beautiful decoration in a cage to make it more eye appealing. :)

For those wondering about taming, we are coming along amazing! He has grown and beefed up a good amount for only being 7 weeks old. The pic of him I took, was from tonight while we were watching tv together. He loves to get out and roam but always comes up next to me to get his back rubbed. He's such a great tegu, so glad I lucked out and didn't get a tail whipping monster lol. Thanks for lookin!

IMG_4572.JPG Full front view of cage
IMG_4575.jpg Inside full view
Image.jpg Finished side of cage w waterfall
IMG_4574.JPG Right side unfinished where dog house will go
715764271015C.jpg Dog house hide for when he's an adult
IMG_4570.jpg Growth progress of Cato

Last edited by a moderator:

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sweet ,love it wow lookin good . You did a great job on it .
Ps... what does your tattoo say?
Sent from my C771 using TortForum mobile app

swatsx

5 Year Member
Ugh makes me want a tegu instead of a tortoise lol again

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
mike taylor said:
Sweet ,love it wow lookin good . You did a great job on it .
Ps... what does your tattoo say?

I have 3 tattoos and the last pic is from an artist who I want to draw up something similar, a phoenix with a more feminine touch to it to go on the other upper inside arm. My Lovestrong tattoo basically is a reminder that when all else fails the people that love you will give you strength to push it through. It was my first tattoo I ever got and has the most meaning to me because I struggle a lot with depression. My second tattoo is the quote you see on my arm. "We fail to see that we control our destiny, by your own soul, learn to live, sing your song, and dream your dream." Which just reminds me to live my life the way I want it, and we guide and control our own destiny. It's each individual that needs to find out who they are, achieve whatever they want, and try and make a name for ourselves. My 3rd tattoo is just simply a sun that says radiate love inside. I really loves stars and the moon and the sun, but i mainly got it because of the radiate love part, Sometimes I'm not the nicest person but generally I send out a lot of love to everyone and I'm pretty friendly, and I believe that the world should have more love in it than hatrid, maybe we'd be in a better place. Anywho, I'm not really someone who gets tattoos because they look cool, i like to get things that have meaning to me. But the phoenix is going to represent strength and surviving hard challenges, but also symbolizing that each person changes and evolves as we grow older and mature and learn from mistakes, and we rise and over come, just like a phoenix does. But It also will be my first colored tattoo, all my others are kinda plain ;) Sorry for the long explanation.

IMG_0972.jpg
IMG_1797.jpg
IMG_1656.jpg
resize.jpg

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cool very cool .Thanks for sharing
I also have a Sun tattoo on my back for my son also have a snake and skulls on my arms . Got crosses on my fingers ,my wife 's favorite flower on my back in all I think I got like 15 but want more.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
swatsx said:
Ugh makes me want a tegu instead of a tortoise lol again

Honestly both are great, I think it really comes down to if you have room to house a large lizard and handle the expense of feeding and care taking. BUT I'd say go with both ;) I had a leopard hatchling tortoise that I loved to death but he ended up passing away and Overall I decided to try something new, and wound up with a tegu. My grandma still calls him an alligator :D Best entertainment ever, although she does threaten to kill him once a day or so :(

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
ImageUploadedByTortForum1377289871.112232.jpg

Decided to use a floor panel of the dog house in the corner until hes big enough to need the big hide :) all thats left is the string of plants on the cieling!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Using the dog house floor panel was a great idea. Serves as a hide and looks nice.

I definitely think the hanging vines once they are up will look fantastic!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Very nice work. I'm not surprised he's doing well.

EchoTheLeoTort

5 Year Member
United States
He's adjusting well to the new cage. Earlier today i saw him just chillin in the waterfall i was going to take a pic but i got busy

Status
Not open for further replies.