Cats and tortoises/turtles

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kingman, Arizona
I have met this kitten. Pure terror! Very skilled in the art of “I'm so sweet, you can totally trust me!" Only to go after thing once your guard is lowered.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
This interests me. I have read and seen a few things over the years that make me wonder. I'm really curious about what his intentions were and what he would have done if he had caught the cat.

When you get your camera situation all sorted out, may I please see pics of your big boy?

I have some summer pictures in my photobucket acct and those I can post using the library's computers (I just can't download new ones through there).
This is Grumpy, the one who went after the kitten.

From his actions, I am sure he thought of the kitten as a food source. I can't recall him going after any of the older cats, but then I also can't recall seeing a cat in their enclosure, except when I am with them. Grumpy tends to go into his burrow, if he spots a human, so they would be safe then. Smiley (the other big one) is a polar opposite of him.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I definitely remember reading somewhere about how little torts you need to watch other animals around them, but when sulcata's get big you have to watch out for the other animals safety since a good ramming would not end well for them.
I have no idea how that video of the cat riding the sulcata came to be

I could see my other big sulcata allowing the cats to ride on him. He has a completely different personality.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Sorry. I hate this computer :mad:

I have 2 cats, both bring dead birds,mice,rats and voles to my doorstep, and both fend off other cats. My oldest cat once chased a dog out of our garden in my old house, and I've seen a guy walking his 3 dogs have to cross over the road to go around my cat because it was going to attack the 3 dogs. I've also seen my cat fend off and chase a dog off of my next door neighbours garden. But yet she is petrified of my adult redfoots. I mean she is really spooked out by them and keeps away from them. I've seen 1 of my torts try to bite her leg when she was laying down, maybe that's why.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
We've lots of field rodents and birds out here. My cats have never paid any mind to my tortoises. But they've never had access to the babies either. That, I'm sure would be about the same as what Maggie witnessed.
On a side note, one of our cats that has bonded very tight with me, and I with him, had gone to bed when I did. He just crashed out on the bed next to me. When Karen came to bed, 15 minutes latter, he started growling at her! Karen and I thought it funny, not so sure about him though!

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds pretty normal to me. :p Child safety locks and cable protection tubes can be quite helpful. :D

Are you not afraid to keep them all together? I would not like to have my cat in the same room as my birds and other pets. Cats can attack very fast, a small animal could get hurt or killed even while I'm around, that's why I keep my budgies in a separate room.

I live in a 3 bed 2 bath house and the only rooms that don't have habitats are the bathrooms and my bedroom. I have animals in every room in my house. Trouble must learn that the other animals are untouchable. The adult cats don't care about any of the other animals, but this kitten is VERY close to going to see what kitty jail is like. A few minutes ago I found her on top of one of the birds cages. So now my hand is scratched and bloody and she's hiding from me. She's likely to end up at the pound if I continue to feel she's a danger to my resident animals. She going to grow to be an exceptional cat no doubt. But before that, what kind of damage is she going to cause???

WithLisa

5 Year Member
Austria
Trouble must learn that the other animals are untouchable.
Cats are controlled by predatory instincts. You can teach them to be too scared to do it while you are around, but they'll still follow their instincts at every possible opportunity.

I don't want to take a risk, but rather build predator proof cages and enclosures when there are predators (cats) around.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
Use a spray bottle of water to get the kitten off cages or places you don't want it to be.

I've had to cover my habitats because my cat thinks they're wonderful litter boxes. I lost a clutch of eggs that way before I realized it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I was going to suggest the spray bottle of water too. It has been a godsend with my dog and cat.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
WOW!!! If I was a kitten, I would NOT want to look up and see Grumpy looking down at me!!!!:p

He ran (as much as they can run) from one end of his enclosure over to the kitten. I saw his aim and I ran between them. Grumpy almost knocked me over to get to the kitten, whom I got picked up with just a few seconds to spare. It was a new kitten somebody had just dumped out the night before and I felt so guilty for it following me and getting into danger. The kitten had no idea what was going on.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Jacqui. I'm sure there must be a sign around the outside of your house, somewhere that you haven't been able to find...that says, "Dump your unwanted felines here!"

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
We have 3 cats and all three have different feelings about Odin. Our Big Jim, an orange tabby, adores him and snuggles up with him every chance he gets. Our youngest, a female calico, doesn't seem to have any real interest in him, she doesn't mind him traipsing over her paws or getting in her business, she just..ignores him. But our trouble maker, a long haired black cat named Dibo, is a colossal pain in the shell! He doesn't hunt him, but he cannot be near him without pawing him, trying to stick his nose in his shell even trying to drag him toward him and tip him over! He's not a biter and he doesn't use his claws, but he is relentless in his pestering! (such a jerk!)

As a rule, you always monitor animals closely for months after introducing a new one into the mix, even like animals, and gradually work up to leaving them alone together. They all have their own personalities and some just don't get along.

M

Maggie Cummings

Sounds pretty normal to me. :p Child safety locks and cable protection tubes can be quite helpful. :D

Are you not afraid to keep them all together? I would not like to have my cat in the same room as my birds and other pets. Cats can attack very fast, a small animal could get hurt or killed even while I'm around, that's why I keep my budgies in a separate room.

All my animals are in seperated pens and kept away from each other. I, sometimes bring a tort out and follow him around the house. Trying to domestic them, I guess. The smaller Sulcata are wild as hell, and the biggest one, (big Sam) rams and bites. They are all up for adoption, except Big Sam, Knobby is the cutest, but you can guess why he's named what he is. I'm keeping him. He has a great fun personality. My cats are old and one is 30 pounds now. He's a beautiful tuxedo. I'll try to put together some pix of those aftwer church...

jakskillz

Georgia
I had to move my pets to my gfs apartment due to my house not being a safe environment for them. Everyone has secure lids except the box turtles who are all in temporary plastic totes with no lid. My gf has 3 cats and while 2 of them would definitely cause injury to any small animal the one dumb male cat causes the most issues. He doesn’t attack, he doesn’t bite, he doesn’t have claws because of his previous owner. He likes to go into the turtle room and look at everyone. The turtles don’t like him and I’ve caught him twice sitting in one of the turtle setups just standing there while the turtles hissed at him because he was next to their food. They hiss at him when he peers over to see them. He just likes to be around things and has tripped me a few times by standing behind me. I’m glad he’s not aggressive but goddamn he needs friends so he leaves my turtles alone.