addyson123

Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Hello everyone,
I am planning on adopting a kitten soon and I have a 2 year old russian tortoise currently. I will have to keep the kitten in my room (where my tortoise is) for most of the time, especially for the first few weeks, as the rest of my house is run by my dogs. What are some safety measures that I can do to ensure that the cat doesn't hurt my tortie?

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Anywhere an adult cat can jump, a kitten can find a way to climb.

In addition to closing your tort in for its protection, you will protect your kitten by closing it out. Reptiles are known to harbor bacteria that their immune systems have evolved to manage, but that mammal bodies don't cope with as well.

If you post some photos of your tort's house, people will be able to make more specific suggestions about how to go about getting it secured.

addyson123

Oregon
Here i have attached two pictures of my enclosure. It isn’t covered but that would be an easy fix if that is what is needed. Thanks!A921A44B-19E5-40CA-A96B-ECAACA0BA3C8.jpegAC9109FC-80B0-44CC-8F77-68CDB40EAA29.jpeg

Attachments

• B4DFB143-41EF-4F76-B3E3-C1CCDAA9D32A.jpeg
    B4DFB143-41EF-4F76-B3E3-C1CCDAA9D32A.jpeg
    693.8 KB · Views: 4

addyson123

Oregon
Anywhere an adult cat can jump, a kitten can find a way to climb.

In addition to closing your tort in for its protection, you will protect your kitten by closing it out. Reptiles are known to harbor bacteria that their immune systems have evolved to manage, but that mammal bodies don't cope with as well.

If you post some photos of your tort's house, people will be able to make more specific suggestions about how to go about getting it secured.
What does your tort enclosure look like? Have a lid? If not, you need a lidded enclosure.....

I posted them, thanks guys!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need a large closed chamber that the cat can't get into.

Your current enclosure is much too small for a Russian, and your substrate looks much too dry.

What is in the deep dome? Are you using a cfl type UV bulb in there? Those are ineffective as UV sources, and some of them burn tortoise eyes. They shouldn't be used.

Give these a read for more info:

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
You will definitely need to go pick up a screen, or the new kitty is going to use your tort’s home as a litter box ?

Cats are going to scratch things. Puncture wounds from claws can be a serious deal because it pushes bacteria deep into the skin. For small animals, this can be fatal, so don’t let your tort and cat interact. Have a first aid kit to keep your and the dogs’ scratches clean too. Start clipping those nails early so they get used to it, it will save you and your family a lot of grief as your cat gets older!

addyson123

Oregon
You need a large closed chamber that the cat can't get into.

Your current enclosure is much too small for a Russian, and your substrate looks much too dry.

What is in the deep dome? Are you using a cfl type UV bulb in there? Those are ineffective as UV sources, and some of them burn tortoise eyes. They shouldn't be used.

Give these a read for more info:
My current enclosure is a 50-gallon tank and my substrate is coconut coir. I try to spray it with water every other day to moisten it, but I could try a new substrate if you think that would be best. I am using a UV bulb and a Zoomed basking bulb in the lamp dome.

I read that a 50-gallon is a good enough size for a Russian so do you think it would be fine if I just covered it? If you think I need a bigger enclosure for him, I would be happy to upgrade it but if it seems like it would be fine, I would really rather just cover it.

If you do decide that it seems to work, what would you use to cover it?

addyson123

Oregon
You will definitely need to go pick up a screen, or the new kitty is going to use your tort’s home as a litter box ?

Cats are going to scratch things. Puncture wounds from claws can be a serious deal because it pushes bacteria deep into the skin. For small animals, this can be fatal, so don’t let your tort and cat interact. Have a first aid kit to keep your and the dogs’ scratches clean too. Start clipping those nails early so they get used to it, it will save you and your family a lot of grief as your cat gets older!
Okay, I sure will! What do you think would be a good option for that screen? I got my tank at petco and it was just a regular open tank. Thank you!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My current enclosure is a 50-gallon tank and my substrate is coconut coir. I try to spray it with water every other day to moisten it, but I could try a new substrate if you think that would be best. I am using a UV bulb and a Zoomed basking bulb in the lamp dome.

I read that a 50-gallon is a good enough size for a Russian so do you think it would be fine if I just covered it? If you think I need a bigger enclosure for him, I would be happy to upgrade it but if it seems like it would be fine, I would really rather just cover it.

If you do decide that it seems to work, what would you use to cover it?
A 50 is fine for a tiny hatchling. An adult needs something closer to 4x8 feet. Tortoises need very large enclosures. Some reptiles do very well in smaller confines. Not tortoises. They need room to roam inside their safe, temperature controlled enclosures.

Coco coir is too messy for an adult Russian in my options. Its not harmful to them, but I don't like the mess.

Spraying the surface does very little, as you are seeing. You must dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. How much water and how often varies tremendously with each individual enclosure. You'll need at least a 3-4 inch layer of substrate after dampening and hand packing. Fine grade orchid bark is much easier and better for an adult Russian.

The type of UV bulb you are using in not effective, and possible dangerous. If you need indoor UV, get a HO type UV tube. The one from ZooMed is good.

If you follow what is in the linked threads, you and your tortoise will be much better off. Buying or building a large closed chamber will also make life a lot easier and safer.

ArmadilloPup

NE Oklahoma
Okay, I sure will! What do you think would be a good option for that screen? I got my tank at petco and it was just a regular open tank. Thank you!

Get the dimensions and look up the screens on the Petco website. It might be a “breeder” tank which is wider than a typical fish tank. Atm, Petco is still open. If I remember right, larger screens are between 20 to 30$ but they match online prices.

If Tom mentions upgrades, I’d listen. Until you can secure a larger cage, you can partially cover the top of yours with plexiglass or foil to keep in some humidity. I get my orchid bark for $7 at Lowe’s. I know Amazon is insane right now, but the hooded/tube style UV lights are typically much cheaper on there than in pet stores.

addyson123

Oregon
A 50 is fine for a tiny hatchling. An adult needs something closer to 4x8 feet. Tortoises need very large enclosures. Some reptiles do very well in smaller confines. Not tortoises. They need room to roam inside their safe, temperature controlled enclosures.

Coco coir is too messy for an adult Russian in my options. Its not harmful to them, but I don't like the mess.

Spraying the surface does very little, as you are seeing. You must dump water into the substrate to keep it damp. How much water and how often varies tremendously with each individual enclosure. You'll need at least a 3-4 inch layer of substrate after dampening and hand packing. Fine grade orchid bark is much easier and better for an adult Russian.

The type of UV bulb you are using in not effective, and possible dangerous. If you need indoor UV, get a HO type UV tube. The one from ZooMed is good.

If you follow what is in the linked threads, you and your tortoise will be much better off. Buying or building a large closed chamber will also make life a lot easier and safer.
Okay, I have noticed that the substrate gets quite messy but with trying out different kinds, this is the one that he seems to like the most. I added 3 cups of water and mixed it around today and it seems to be a good texture so I will continue to do that as I see fit.

I am going to get a screen for the top and so I will also get one of those UV strips. As for the size of the enclosure, I will look into it and possibly get him a new one after I get my bonus check from work.

addyson123

Oregon
Get the dimensions and look up the screens on the Petco website. It might be a “breeder” tank which is wider than a typical fish tank. Atm, Petco is still open. If I remember right, larger screens are between 20 to 30$ but they match online prices.

If Tom mentions upgrades, I’d listen. Until you can secure a larger cage, you can partially cover the top of yours with plexiglass or foil to keep in some humidity. I get my orchid bark for $7 at Lowe’s. I know Amazon is insane right now, but the hooded/tube style UV lights are typically much cheaper on there than in pet stores.
Okay, thank you so much!

Kylee L.

Jacksonville, FL
Hello everyone,
I am planning on adopting a kitten soon and I have a 2 year old russian tortoise currently. I will have to keep the kitten in my room (where my tortoise is) for most of the time, especially for the first few weeks, as the rest of my house is run by my dogs. What are some safety measures that I can do to ensure that the cat doesn't hurt my tortie?
I have 2 cats that don't bother mine (I have a 6 month old Russian) His enclosure is elevated off the floor and has high sides. I just made sure there was nothing the cats could jump on near by so they could jump into his encloser.

AllieKat1997

5 Year Member
Missouri
Hello everyone,

I mainly have three concerns with cats and torts, the first is - a tort enclosure is a fantastic litter box for any kitten or cat that can climb into it, so make sure you have a lid! Even if you think the cat would never... he/she could. Second is just make sure the cords for the tort’s light is taped down, so the kitten doesn’t think that the cord is a toy and starts tugging on it (or so the cat doesn’t get tangled up in the cords and panics! I had this happen to my dog). The third I can think up is the same for the lights, just make sure the kitten can’t one day wack the lamp off the tort’s enclosure. You probably don’t have to worry about a kitten doing this but when the kitten is bigger and stronger she/he might try it. Cats are adorable lovable jerks. Enjoy your new kitten! :)?

Heckhaven

Lake Charles, Louisiana
Hello everyone,
How big is your Tort? Kittens (and grown) will try to bat the tort around. My cats don't bother my Guys at all. You do need to cover your tort enclosure as you don't want the cat to use it as a litter box. And, until you can judge the interaction between the two - you need to be watching them when together. Normally the cat will loose interest in the Tort quickly if it closes up and does not move around. But, you don't want either one to get bitten.

Bikerchick

Getzville, ny
Hello everyone,
While I understand people's concerns, we have always felt that if animals are raised together they get along. And it's always been the case in this house. Here are a few examples. I used to go through Great Lengths to try to keep the cats out of the tortoise tanks but they always manage to find a way to get in there and Under The Lights. I would not stress about it. Hope everybody is staying healthy and I've also found that wrapping your Greens in tin foil helps to make them last much longer in the refrigerator.

FB_IMG_1542160122660.jpgFB_IMG_1560368177104.jpg

Beasty_Artemis

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Oregon Coast
One thing that I've noticed helps motivate kitty's to stay out of a tortoise table is to keep the substrate moist! And always clean out extra protein if your tortoise is a red foot once they are done eating, or kitty will definitely come to investigate some shrimp for instance.
But I still came home last year to find my poor baby with some scratch marks on her poor face after a curious kitty snuck in....
Keeping the misting bottle on hand taught the kitty very quickly that the tort table equates to a wet butt! She hates that!
Oh and my dumb kitty jumped up onto my newly installed shower curtain and left stretched out paw / claw prints going down it! How rude!