Cats. . . cats. . . cats!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Years ago a friend in the cat sitting business decided to sell his equipment and get out of that business. I took his cat crates, took the doors off, and use it for storage. My cats decided it was a great place to sleep, so I added a few cat beds on the top of it.

This a.m. as I was walking around doing chores I saw this:

cats 3-6-18a.jpg

Now none of my cats get along. Let's just say they tolerate each other as long as no one invades anyone's space. There's a lot of hissing and spitting if one gets too close to another. So you can imagine my surprise to see three of them laying so close to each other.

This is Charlie on the left and Lady Grey on the right. Lady grey has seniority. She came to me as a stray from the school my daughter works at. They trapped her and my daughter didn't have to heart to call Animal Control to come pick her up, so I had her spayed and she lives here now.

Charlie is the second to the newest member of my menagerie. A neighbor two houses down died around Thanksgiving last year and a month or so later Charlie showed up here. First time I saw him he was snuggled into the leaves under a rose bush, having made himself a nice 'nest.' Only trouble is, it was raining and the bush offered no protection for him. So I started the befriending process. It didn't take long. He had already been neutered, so a bit of $$ saved there. He's overweight, and really loves his food. . . but a very nice cat.

cats 3-6-18b.jpg

This is Mr. Kitty. He was one of those that someone took "out to the country" and dumped out of their car. I trapped him and took him in to be neutered. An hour or so later the vet called me and said, "your cat is neutered." I said wow, that sure didn't take very long. And he said, "No, your cat IS neutered!" Why on earth would someone go to the trouble and expense of neutering a cat only to dump it out in the country? I know he was dumped because he was living in the culvert pipe that ran across under the street for a couple weeks before I trapped him.

cats 3-6-18c.jpg
This one is Spencer. She was feral and had a litter of kittens in the field across the street. Every evening I would see her sneaking into the old house on my property to eat the cats' food. She was skin and bones. I trapped her and 5 of her kittens, but the 6th one was too canny to go into the trap. Don't know what happened to him. Spencer was taken to the vet to be spayed and the kittens were taken to the animal shelter to be adopted.
cats 3-6-18d.jpg
Oops! How did that 'cat' get in here. (Misty, about 3 or 4 years old)

cats 3-6-18e.jpg
This is Little Missy Kitty. Another dumped, trapped, spayed cat. She lived outside for a while, but she was so scared of everything, running and hiding at the least little thing, that when my at-the-time-house cat had to be euthanized I brought in Little Missy Kitty to be protected in the house.

cats 3-6-18f.jpg

Sterling is the latest addition to my cat menagerie. She was another stray that just turned up. The only difference between her and all the others is she was very friendly right from the get go. I didn't have to trap her. I left her alone for a couple weeks, figuring she belonged to a neighbor, and tried to 'scat' her every time I saw her, but she was just too friendly to be chased away. So I took her to the vet to be spayed. I had to keep her in the house for a while because of the stitches, and while in here she developed a terrible eating problem. She just ate and ate and ate, getting pretty fat for such a young (about 6 months) cat. So I took her back to the vet for a blood test to be sure there wasn't any physical reason she was eating so much (thyroid??). The results came back that she has FeLV, which is highly contagious. And she had been living in the house, eating out of the same dish as Little Missy Kitty and using the same bathroom facilities. FeLV has nothing to do with appetite, she just loves to eat. And I figure that extra weight might be helpful later on when the illness causes her to start losing weight and being a sick cat. So. . . two house cats!

cats 3-6-18g.jpg

Did I mention that I really like cats?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I think your neighborhood knows you like cats too. Purposefully dumping them where you will for sure be able to find them or them find you lol.
So glad you have the room and heart for them.

Greta16

Western Maine
I really love cats too. I had a Little Miss Kitty. She was 17 when she got sick and we put her down a few years ago. About a year last Thanksgiving a stray showed up and my husband started feeding him. He lived in the garage for a week until I couldn't stand it anymore and brought him to the vet.(I have 2 cats already a brother and sister so I didn't want to introduce him if he was ill.) Come to find out he was about 5 lbs, covered with ticks, neutered, and chipped. He came from our local spca. What a rigamarole! The vet tried to call the owners, and they never responded. Long story short I had to call our animal control officer, lots of phone calls later he was mine. He actually fit in quite nicely with my other 2 which isn't always the case. We got lucky.

Greta16

Western Maine
This is Leroy(the stray)asking me to let him out. And the other pic is Harry(the orange cat) and his sister daisy.20180205_135833.jpg20170605_173626.jpg

P

PegDolson

Amazing! How many cats do you have? You can open your own cat cafe with so many cats. LOL. Indeed, every pet must have its own place in the house where it hides and feels protected and independent. Such boxes are perfect for them. It is very important that the animal has the opportunity to move, play and rest with comfort. We live in an apartment and we don't have such spaces as in a private house. But we strived to equip the living area of our cat and provide him the best conditions to help of a cat tree and some special equipment from https://thepetsmaster.com/best-cat-trees/. He really loves it a lot and spent there most part of his time.

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I have 3 cats, this is the newest, Yoshi. I live in a rural spot as well and almost ran this little guy over when he was tiny. Managed to get ahold of him, tried to trap his mother but she was very skittish, after about a week I never saw her again. This guy is pretty cool but you can tell he was feral. B309B0C8-7774-4F7B-9A8B-31DEC374F23A.jpeg066BAE35-A07C-46DD-93D6-40A59EEEAA40.jpeg

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I have 3 cats, this is the newest, Yoshi. I live in a rural spot as well and almost ran this little guy over when he was tiny. Managed to get ahold of him, tried to trap his mother but she was very skittish, after about a week I never saw her again. This guy is pretty cool but you can tell he was feral. View attachment 319056View attachment 319057
I've got 2 cats. Kelly is a feral cat, about 4.5 lbs. Buster is a 24 pounder, who bites or scratches if he doesn't get fed twice a day.

20200613_133152.jpg

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Wales
I've got 2 cats. Kelly is a feral cat, about 4.5 lbs. Buster is a 24 pounder, who bites or scratches if he doesn't get fed twice a day.

Wow, 24 pounds? He must be huge. He looks tough as nails haha

Jan A

Boulder, CO
Wow, 24 pounds? He must be huge. He looks tough as nails haha
He's fat. He can move fast if he needs to & he's jumped up on top of the kitchen cabinets chasing Kelly. Kelly is way fast, & she trains daily on speed.

But Buster is mean spirited when it comes to putting him on a diet and/or getting in the way of his food bowl or food.