caught off guard new sulcata owner

Angryfab

Not yet .I was going to such an come up with ideas I can build almost anything I will need .
What's your opinion on a underground box

Angryfab

I took her out into one of our hay fields an I brought a chair just going to sit back an let her do her thing for an hour or so

Angryfab

Ok so close to an hour an didn't see her eat a bite .called the pet store an they said that they fed her romaine lettuce green collards mustards stuff like that so I'm off to the grocery store I guess I'll have to put the little chips of grass in to get her used to the grass

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Not yet .I was going to such an come up with ideas I can build almost anything I will need .
What's your opinion on a underground box

Just coming in to the middle of the thread here…

Where are you?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I live in Guntersville Alabama

With all the over head shade and all that rain, I would not do an underground box there. You shouldn't need it.

You can still do it if you like, but watch out for flooding.

Angryfab

I read the thread where you built your last box a little while ago an I have to say I really liked it.in you opinion would something like that work in my region

Angryfab

I thought I might build it out of metal on the outside an do the entire inside with the plywood an spray foam for the insulation just so that I don't have to build it again ever

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I read the thread where you built your last box a little while ago an I have to say I really liked it.in you opinion would something like that work in my region

It could work IF IF IF you can prevent flooding. We don't get much rain here, so with a little attention to grades and slopes, I have no problem. Also, the ground is so dry here that wood doesn't rot in the ground. Those would be your two biggest issues to over come. Then you just have to figure out how you want to heat it and what to do in your sweet home Alabama winters.

Angryfab

Yes I agree I don't think I would put the box under ground . An I think I can just use the bucket on the tractor an a just the grade. Yes regular wood don't last long here so I would probably do the out side with some stainless or aluminum .
I was glad to see the Bermuda hay inside that will do great sense we have a 20 acre just Bermuda field we square bale for horses

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Hey George! How lucky for you to have a spouse who seeks to satisfy your pet dreams:) I also couldn't help but grin reading your story with pictures where you sound a lot like my brother who is a brilliant engineer and very handy with tools, but has always despised spelling and simply refused to pay attention to it deeming it as "waste of time and brain storage space to remember such bs", giving our Mom headaches during our school years... your sulcata is so beautiful and will be very happy on those acres of grass. This is the species my daughter and I wanted, but we live in suburbs outside of Austin and while having back yard and all that, we had decided on the Redfooted species who will be very happy in our garden. We love them so much but if I ever get to live on some acreage, I'd totally get a sulcata. Anyway, warm welcome to you, your wife who sounds like an awesome person and to your sully from Texas

Angryfab

Hey George! How lucky for you to have a spouse who seeks to satisfy your pet dreams:) I also couldn't help but grin reading your story with pictures where you sound a lot like my brother who is a brilliant engineer and very handy with tools, but has always despised spelling and simply refused to pay attention to it deeming it as "waste of time and brain storage space to remember such bs", giving our Mom headaches during our school years... your sulcata is so beautiful and will be very happy on those acres of grass. This is the species my daughter and I wanted, but we live in suburbs outside of Austin and while having back yard and all that, we had decided on the Redfooted species who will be very happy in our garden. We love them so much but if I ever get to live on some acreage, I'd totally get a sulcata. Anyway, warm welcome to you, your wife who sounds like an awesome person and to your sully from Texas
Well thank you very much . I personally think this is the perfect pet for someone like me an I'm very excited just really don't want to mess this up .an yes I have issues with going overboard

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Well thank you very much . I personally think this is the perfect pet for someone like me an I'm very excited just really don't want to mess this up .an yes I have issues with going overboard
With all the acreage you have at your disposal and spouse that is this supportive of your hobby I'd say: have at it!:) really! That sulcata if kept right may live a very long life. Wishing ya'll my best