caught off guard new sulcata owner

Angryfab

Ok so she still isn't eating
I think the box was to cool I've got some blanket over it now an I can feel the temperature going up .a bought to run to walk mart an get the laser thermometer
Yesterday I got the plant bottom dish an put her the water in it .
Do I need to just keep putting fresh food in an many she will come around

Kenno

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Wecome! You're doing a great job and you're sure in the right place to ask questions!

Angryfab

I think I need to get her out side box built a lot faster now .I looked at Walmart an couldn't find a oil heater that was short .so I ebay one an then I got to thinking it was only 700 watts do y'all think that will be enough?

Angryfab

I would build it today but I am building a cage for a rzr that the guy wants to race Saturday so I have to get it done an deliver it to the race for him so I'm thinking I can build the box first thing sunday

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I think I need to get her out side box built a lot faster now .I looked at Walmart an couldn't find a oil heater that was short .so I ebay one an then I got to thinking it was only 700 watts do y'all think that will be enough?
It all depends on how well insulated and sealed the box is. I have had a 700 watt heater in my night box for 4 years and it has done a good job. It keeps the box within a couple of degrees of the thermostat setting without working very hard. You really should have a thermostat to control that heater. The night box is a copy of Tom's original. My building skills are minimal, so I'm certain that it is not sealed as well as Tom's. Winter night time temps here are high-30's to low 40's.

Angryfab

Ok got back with the laser thermometeran yes my box is to small. With the blanket on it it was 119 f under the light an 97 everywhere else so I opened up the box an got it down in the 80s an the opened one corner of the blanket I will re check in a little bit

Angryfab

Ok so I think low range is finally comein around I saw her take a bit this morning ya!
Question do I need to put her food on a plate or just put it in on the mulch

M

Maggie Cummings

Ok so she still isn't eating
I think the box was to cool I've got some blanket over it now an I can feel the temperature going up .a bought to run to walk mart an get the laser thermometer
Yesterday I got the plant bottom dish an put her the water in it .
Do I need to just keep putting fresh food in an many she will come around

I put down food twice, if she doesn't eat any in about 1/2 hr I take it out. Keep up her temps, My sick tort is almost 90 degrees.
Here's my tort shed in the middle of the night after it snowed.
I have 3 Sulcata living in the shed, there's a doggie door so they can come and go.It stays a consistent 85-90. IT's 20'x12ft. Lots of room for a Sulcata who wants to go out. They really need room to walk around and exercise....I also have numerous torts in the house.

DSCN3357.JPG

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, George, and a very warm, if somewhat belated welcome to Tortoise Forum. :)

surfergirl

Welcome George!. I live in the Atlanta Ga area and my Sully stays toasty with 2" thick insulation and 700 watts should do the trick. Guntersville is beautiful! Both my parents were born in Alabama. I would love to buy some land in Center or closer to you some day. My sully is 21 years old, had him since he was a babe and he is awesome. You are going to have a great time with yours because they are little.grazers and a bermuda field is their home sweet home.