Caught them breeding

Bbcatcher

Location (City and/or State)
Gainesville, Fl
Hello all-

Well my male Russian has been mounting my female, but I haven't seen the "ritual" that I've read they go through. Well today I went out and and saw it and snapped some pictures of it. Very funny to watch!!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1406243526.697743.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406243547.997801.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1406243558.364627.jpg

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
These pics always do crack me up. Congrats, hope you have some eggs soon and hatch them with no problems.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She could start to act anxious (running around, looking for nest sites) or she could get fed up with your male, and bully him off when he tries to mate. Do you have any other females to attract his attention too? SHe might get stressed with all his extra fussing :D

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
She could start to act anxious (running around, looking for nest sites) or she could get fed up with your male, and bully him off when he tries to mate. Do you have any other females to attract his attention too? SHe might get stressed with all his extra fussing :D

Will she look for nesting sites this early if she is gravid now?

Don't have any other adult females at the moment; they're in an outdoor enclosure but I will split it to get her away from him so he doesn't drive her nuts or hurt her.

What exactly would she do in terms of "bullying"? As of now, she just turns away, but once the male bites her leg, she stops and let's him mount. From what I've read, this is normal breeding behavior?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
How long have they been mating? If it;s only been a few days, no. She could become aggressive is she is gravid, but if she just turns away, my guess is no. Males will try to repeatedly mate with a female, even if she is looking for a nesting site. That sounds normal now, but watch out for distress sings. Lethargy, lack of appetite, aggressive behavior. Do you have a good place for her to nest if she does lay eggs? Plain dirt spot/shady/prtoected...

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
How long have they been mating? If it;s only been a few days, no. She could become aggressive is she is gravid, but if she just turns away, my guess is no. Males will try to repeatedly mate with a female, even if she is looking for a nesting site. That sounds normal now, but watch out for distress sings. Lethargy, lack of appetite, aggressive behavior. Do you have a good place for her to nest if she does lay eggs? Plain dirt spot/shady/prtoected...

Well this is my first attempt at breeding tortoises. According to the person I got them from, when I start hearing the squeaking from the male, that's actual mating attempts and not just mounting. If that's the case, this is the first day that's happened, but the mounting has been happening for a couple of days (with no aggression, the male just mounted the female on the side and sometimes in the "right spot").

I have multiple areas where she could lay her eggs, I plan on adding some other plants in the enclosure to add other options. She still has an a awesome appetite, and is still drinking.

Should I just watch to see if this behavior continues?

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
I've also read that the females never actually seem interested in breeding, and it just happens? So as long as there is not actual aggression (expecting the leg biting (nothing extreme or I will separate)) they should be fine?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
That sounds great! Yes. They won't 'seek out' males for mates, those guys do a great job on their own :D If it continues on like this (female being active, normal) then all is well and you may very well have some eggs in a few weeks. The leg biting is okay, he just wants her attention :) Make sure she has good calcium intake for shell production, if those guy do succeed in their 'endeavors'!

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
That sounds great! Yes. They won't 'seek out' males for mates, those guys do a great job on their own :D If it continues on like this (female being active, normal) then all is well and you may very well have some eggs in a few weeks. The leg biting is okay, he just wants her attention :) Make sure she has good calcium intake for shell production, if those guy do succeed in their 'endeavors'!

How often should I give calcium to her now?

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
If she regularly eats a cuttle bone on her own, just once a week. If not, a few times. Got to be tricky about it though, if they smell it, they go all picky :D Just a light sprinkle... mix it up.. she'll never have seen it coming :D

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
If she regularly eats a cuttle bone on her own, just once a week. If not, a few times. Got to be tricky about it though, if they smell it, they go all picky :D Just a light sprinkle... mix it up.. she'll never have seen it coming :D

I just recently gave them some calcium and just lightly dusted it on there. I thought maybe next time I feed some mazuri I'd mix it in there. We'll see how it goes.

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
They like sheltered warm spots for nesting.

But no, you cannot assume that there is no distress just because you don't see biting or blood. If he continues to mount her day after day, it is stressful.

Bbcatcher

Gainesville, Fl
They like sheltered warm spots for nesting.

But no, you cannot assume that there is no distress just because you don't see biting or blood. If he continues to mount her day after day, it is stressful.

I never suggested there wasn't distress. Like I said, if her normal behavior changes, I will know to split them.

In this case, the mating attempts have ceased, with the occasional chase if they end up wondering next to each other. I'll keep a close eye on them

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
I've also read that the females never actually seem interested in breeding, and it just happens? So as long as there is not actual aggression (expecting the leg biting (nothing extreme or I will separate)) they should be fine?

You asked if it was okay as long as there wasn't outright aggression. I answered. No. Stress is not okay. Bullying is more subtle than aggression, and it's not okay. By the time her normal behavior changes, the stress level will be terribly high and damaging.

Maybe it's okay. You're the one on the ground. But there is a reason so many of us have written so much so often on the subject of not keeping two together. So keep watching, but realize that they are masters at hiding distress and we are good at misinterpreting what we see. By the time we notice a problem, it can be dire.