CB Gopherus berlandieri with Mycoplasma

hstingray

Location (City and/or State)
Maryland
I acquired a group of (4) legal Mexican imported CB male Gopherus berlandieri almost two years ago from Snakes at Sunset/Michael Barrera. Right after receiving them, all 4 started showing symptoms of Mycoplasma, and have had these ever since, so I've kept them in strict isolation. All four have done fine all things considered since I've gotten them, being quite active and pretty good feeders. I was just curious at this point if anyone out there has any Mycoplasma positive berlandieri currently under their care?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
If they weren't tested, then you don't know for sure it's mycoplasma. Stress can also bring on the same symptoms. Stress=mating, hibernation, competition, etc.

Mycoplasma-positive tortoises can live normal lives. But they are contagious.

hstingray

Maryland
Oh, yeah, I've had lots of experience with Mycoplasma, and it's pretty much a guarantee that these guys are positive based on chronic symptoms. Don't really want to get into a squabble match over this, but just wanted to see if there are any individuals out there that are dealing with positive groups.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
I thought I read somewhere that it is a super expensive test, and not many places do it, to find out for sure. Bet people have tortoises with it, but do not actually know because of above. It's been awhile when I recall reading that, so may be now it is more accessible for homie tortoise keepers vs scientific and more hard core keepers.

hstingray

Maryland
No, the test isn't really that expensive to be honest. Any decent reptile vet should be able to send away a sample to be tested through the University of Florida. There may be other testing sources now as well. It's just that if the symptoms are long term and not a more acute respiratory infection, that is likely at least part of the animal's problem. I suspect it is far more common in collections than people realize, but many animals are asymptomatic until something like a stressful shipping event, or being kept in inadequate environmental conditions.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Sean as far as we know we don't. We have had a huge increase of recently dumped texas tortoises. We're going to test them for sure. I'll keep you in the loop on what the results are. So far though, only one has perished from the drop offs. That particular animal had a fully painted shell with oil based paint from a previous keeper. It's necropsy showed full adrenal failure, kidneys, liver, lymph glands. No herpes or mycoplasma in the PCR sequencing though which is great. Both of those are highly contagious. None the less this is a fantastic representation of a good quarantine protocol for large collections and even small collections. I rarely get on here much. Been so busy. I'll message yah or email you when we finally get to testing the rest of them.

Part of our texas tortoise conservation project
We're trying to work on also tests and tracks wild Specimens found. Once that (fingers crossed) takes off should be extremely beneficial information. Let's hope
The findings are similar to its western gophers species.