Not open for further replies.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
If you live in the Central Valley of California, I still have some red ear sliders, some 3 yr old Calif. desert tortoises, an African side-neck turtle and this a.m. just received 8 little CDT hatchlings. I will adopt out the water turtles and the hatchlings without a yard inspection, and the desert tortoise babies go in pairs because they do better when there's competition for the food.

Give me a call at 559 298-7114 if you're interested.

Yvonne

P.S. The guy who brought me the babies said that he incubated them at a higher temperature so that they would be female, but its still a crap shoot.

Kymiie

5 Year Member
Nottinghamshire, UK
Surely you should do a yard inspection??
Not nich to think they are going to a bad home or something!!

xxx

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Water turtles are very easy to set up, and there is no reason for me to go and look at their aquarium. As for the babies, I will give the person explicit details on how to take care of them, and they won't be able to go outside into a "yard" to be inspected for at least two or three years, so no need for an inspection there either.

Yvonne

andred82vert

5 Year Member
I live in southern california. Too bad its a few hours drive from where I live. I have a friend who would want to get her hands or a couple of babies.

Shelly

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Southern California
I'd definitely take one or more hatchlings if they could somehow be delivered to the Los Angeles area.

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Yvonne, I've got to ask you about the guy who brought them to you. Why did he breed them to begin with if he has now got to put them into a rescue? Do you ask them that question or do they tell you just out right?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
They may not say much when they turn them in since it is illegal to intentionally breed CDT's.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's just one of those folks who think they're doing right by the tortoises to breed them. He DOES understand that the DFG doesn't allow artificial incubation of the eggs. In the past, he has kept one baby from each clutch, but this year he gave them all to me.

My personal opinion is: go for it! I know its against the law, but if there are more babies available for adoption, then there is less chance of a wild tortoise being picked up out of the desert. I wish they would amend the law. I don't breed my desert tortoises. I'm still a law-abiding citizen, but I gladly take in any babies anyone else wants to give me!

Also, if any of you southern Calif. folks want to come up here I'd be happy to adopt a baby to you. I just need to know that you understand how to care for them and will eventually have an outdoor pen, when they get big enough.

Yvonne

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...There is a dragon train for transporting bearded dragons from long distances so they don't have to be UPS'd. How about setting up a group of different tortoise people to drive an hour or 2 and pass the tort off to the next closest person, etc.
Patsy

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One of the ways that I can settle my mind about prospective adoptors is by talking to them. I guess the tortoise-train is a good idea, but I'd really like to meet the folks who adopt the babies.

Yvonne

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Also unlike dragons DT's can not be transpoorted across state lines.

K9KidsLove

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hi...I know that they can't be transported over state lines, but it is a long drive between northern & southern CA! There can still be phone conversations to get a feel for potential owners, but since there isn't a property visit for the babies, it would be a way to get more babies placed. Just an idea!!!
good luck
Patsy

Status
Not open for further replies.