Cedar Trees Toxicity Exposure????

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Tropical South Texas
Well, currently the organziation recieved some funding to construct about an acre portion of our land to utilize for a galap or aldabra exhibit. In the means of starting to get this going, I began to clear some trees to make the pen 85 feet instead of 55' wide, the area added to where the fence and enclosure walls will be a totally shaded under tree canopy running the entire length of the pen, around 125' long. In the midst of clearing and trimming the lower limbs of some trees, I found these species and wondered if the actual live tree possess toxicity levels. I know when cedar trees are mulched they are very toxic because of the oils in the core of the tree)its smells really good though. Does anybody know if the actual cedar tree would be ok left in the pen and pose problems, or should I just remove that species entirely?

Other species of trees are moss oak, elm, bois d'ark(mulberry relative) and obviously native cedars (texas)

any information would be greatly appreciated.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I think most of the 'cedar' trees in Texas are actually types of juniper. I've looked for information in the past and haven't found much. Some livestock seem to avoid eating them but goats & sheep have no problem.

Personally, I would get rid of them (cedar fever).

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
My understanding that was that it is the build up of the fumes and constant exposure that causes the issues. Outside you would have the wind and sun helping to diffuse any problems, plus they can go to areas within the enclosure free from them. Also once more you are talking a larger body mass, which will also help. However, that is just things I have heard (or read who knows), do not take it as gospel. I do want to say, congrats on the funding!

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Thanks jacqui. The funding has been nice, unfortunately its not much. but given my resources and construction ties I can go above and beyond my expectations to create a perfect paradise for these biggens. I think Im just gonna take the trees out so I dont have anything to worry about, After all its only 2 of them, and they arent that big anyways. I hate removing trees or cutting anything down, but these would be the only two that would have to go. I dont want to risk it. Anyone need some good smelling cedar for their closet:D:D

Status
Not open for further replies.