Cedar Wood outdoor enclosure

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SE Wisconsin
We recently moved & had to give up our beautiful outdoor garden for Leroy :-( Being that it's near the end of summer, I wanted something that I could quickly & easily construct.

So...dummy me bought 2 raised garden beds without even thinking about the potential harmful effects.

My question is if I use some sort of sealant would that negate the harmful fumes or should I scrap the whole raised garden idea and buy something different?

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I tend to err on the side of caution, if it was my choice, I would scrap.

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
It's less of an issue outside vs confined indoors. Its a judgement call depending on how aromatic the wood is. I wouldn't discount it just because it's cedar.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size are these enclosures and how tall are the walls? If they are small with tall walls, that will tend to hold in the fumes more.

Wide open with low sides and you should have plenty of ventilation.

I'll bet that with a little time and weathering the cedar wood will be fine. I would not use cedar to build an indoor closed chamber, but outside with all the fresh air and a wide open top shouldn't be an issue.

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
What size are these enclosures and how tall are the walls? If they are small with tall walls, that will tend to hold in the fumes more.

Wide open with low sides and you should have plenty of ventilation.

I'll bet that with a little time and weathering the cedar wood will be fine. I would not use cedar to build an indoor closed chamber, but outside with all the fresh air and a wide open top shouldn't be an issue.
One is 4x4 and the other is 3x5. The walls are around 16".

Leroy's_homeboy

5 Year Member
SE Wisconsin
It's less of an issue outside vs confined indoors. Its a judgement call depending on how aromatic the wood is. I wouldn't discount it just because it's cedar.
When I first opened the boxes you could really smell the wood but now that its been outside for a while the smell is has gotten less noticable...