Cement Block and climbing

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
London, UK
Yes will send tomorrow as dark in UK now
Found this which shows standing up and you can see top bricks overlap I also have wire mesh over the top as we have birds of prey and cats around.

Attachments

• IMG_20210722_172535_3.jpg
    IMG_20210722_172535_3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK
Found this which shows standing up and you can see top bricks overlap I also have wire mesh over the top as we have birds of prey and cats around.
I am not a fan of this as toppling is still a risk but I also block hazard areas as well as escape routes ? maybe an upside down ceramic flower pot in each corner may be a deterrent. What works for one tortoise mm at not for another. Good luck

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
This is what I'm talking about.
I would get some sanded pressure treated wood. Then take two pieces about 2ft wide and cut level with the top of the bricks and attach them somehow on each side of the corner. Something smooth on the corner walls besides those blocks would probably not give your tort the traction to be able to get up like that.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I would suggest a large 55 gallon plastic drum (filled with water) placed right in that corner. Impossible to move, your tort can’t climb it, and it will eventually move along. It’s an easy try & won’t cost you (unless u can’t find a barrel). Maybe a large garbage can (with water).

Give it a try.
I can tell you a drum works very well. I cut them in half fill them with dirt and line them up to make pen walls. I have Sulcatas as big as 200lbs and even those monsters can’t climb or move these wallsA6C64E57-801E-4470-9260-52376F83ED02.jpeg63E5EB48-AEA0-497D-89AD-DB79E75190D6.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
1A3C188F-14BA-4893-BA02-B6766C9196A9.jpeg
Oh yes, I know what you’re talking about. Koopa climbed this little corner after I blocked her grass (the area behind the board on her right) I just added more cinder blocks and moved that log. BUT I have watched her push a cinder block up against a planter, to stand on to reach pumpkin vine hanging… wondered if it was an accident or on purpose ?‍♀️ They are determined. The barrel/drum should work though.

Sarah2020

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
London, UK

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I don't know if the op thinks like I do...but Mary K does the same... stands up in the corner...now she uses her Sulcata strength to push over the top blocks, she actually bang pushes the top blocks and over they go, now she either climbs out at that time and goes swimming with the box turtles or goes for a walk about...OR...she uses the corner to stand up and falls over on her back...but nobody notices and soon her own weight starts to crush her organs and her lungs and if it's hot she will slowly lose her breathing ability and she cooks to death...OR...she gets her big front foot caught in a crack in the cinder block and when she falls over, she breaks her leg.
There are many reasons why standing up just ain't good for bigger tortoise.
100_5048.JPG

MsParedes

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Atwater CA
I don't know if the op thinks like I do...but Mary K does the same... stands up in the corner...now she uses her Sulcata strength to push over the top blocks, she actually bang pushes the top blocks and over they go, now she either climbs out at that time and goes swimming with the box turtles or goes for a walk about...OR...she uses the corner to stand up and falls over on her back...but nobody notices and soon her own weight starts to crush her organs and her lungs and if it's hot she will slowly lose her breathing ability and she cooks to death...OR...she gets her big front foot caught in a crack in the cinder block and when she falls over, she breaks her leg.
There are many reasons why standing up just ain't good for bigger tortoise.
View attachment 334298
Thank you for spelling it out. This behavior is BAD.

Jan A

Boulder, CO
View attachment 334281
Oh yes, I know what you’re talking about. Koopa climbed this little corner after I blocked her grass (the area behind the board on her right) I just added more cinder blocks and moved that log. BUT I have watched her push a cinder block up against a planter, to stand on to reach pumpkin vine hanging… wondered if it was an accident or on purpose ?‍♀️ They are determined. The barrel/drum should work though.
That is such a great picture!! Koopa is calling you every name in the book. I get that very same look from Houdini at least twice a day with something I did or didn't do. What tort owner has not?

Two babies

5 Year Member
Does anyone else have this same challenge?
Or is this not a challenge and I just worry too much?
I had the same experience with one of mine (female). I discovered a sliver of light coming through in the corner she stood in. I added blocks to the outside to cover the crack and she stopped. Now larger at 7 yrs old, she has a full yard (with lots of hides) to graze in and only a wooden fence with spaces between boards. She patrols the fence line, stopping to look out the corners and nap. She has never stood on the fence or pushed it. I have cement on the outside and buried bricks on the inside to deter digging. She hasn't tried, yet. I think she just likes to see what's going on.