Cement tub enclosure questions (for a baby Iberian Greek)

Astrochelys

So I want to make sure I have everything set for the little guy before I actually get him/her. I plan on getting a large cement mixing tub:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

And then to add to that, I'll be using orchid as a substrate:
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Better-Gro-8-Qt-Orchid-Bark-50190/100166665

And then to prop the UVB and heat fixtures onto, I'm thinking about getting a grill grate to put over the width of a part of the enclosure and then place my T8" UVB linear tube onto. Only problem is, I don't know how hot that the UVB will make it. I have a dome light with a 125 watt Halogen floodlight (with a light dimmer) so I can control the temp with that if the UVB does not make it hot enough for the little guy/girl.

I also will provide a hide (have one of those hubba huts) and since it'll be an open enclosure, I'd like to keep the humidity up at least in one place so I'll make sure there is moist sphagnum moss in there in case the animal wants to acquire more humidity that way. I do plan on spraying the enclosure lightly twice a day to help keep humidity up that way, but I won't make it wet, just a little spritz.

How does this all sound so far? I know that not having photos isn't really helpful, but this is all I can do for now.

Thanks and I appreciate all input!

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I understand a smaller enclosure sorta makes sense at the outset. That plan for the bigger enclosure in your mind's eye, don't put it off. Might as well look to start out with a bigger enclosure, so the intent for the larger one later on is already fulfilled.

Another consideration is how you plan to keep/regulate temps and humidity, a grill grate as a top will make this near impossible to do. Maybe you could find a large aquarium on Craig's list for cheap (does not have to be able to hold water). Then you can see your tortoise and maintain temps and humidity with a more humidity/temp holding kind of top.

Despite many who voice concerns for aquariums, they make good enclosures, and if in the not so common event your tortoise struggles against the glass, then you can make a simple visual barrier a few inches above the substrate so that your view is not obstructed while the tortoise's view is obstructed.

Astrochelys

I understand a smaller enclosure sorta makes sense at the outset. That plan for the bigger enclosure in your mind's eye, don't put it off. Might as well look to start out with a bigger enclosure, so the intent for the larger one later on is already fulfilled.

Another consideration is how you plan to keep/regulate temps and humidity, a grill grate as a top will make this near impossible to do. Maybe you could find a large aquarium on Craig's list for cheap (does not have to be able to hold water). Then you can see your tortoise and maintain temps and humidity with a more humidity/temp holding kind of top.

Despite many who voice concerns for aquariums, they make good enclosures, and if in the not so common event your tortoise struggles against the glass, then you can make a simple visual barrier a few inches above the substrate so that your view is not obstructed while the tortoise's view is obstructed.

Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that spraying the enclosure down with water two-three times a day will help maintain humidity as well as having a largish shallow water dish. Also, I was planning to add in a humid hide as well as a humid corner (with damp sphagnum moss). I do have a 40 gallon breeder tank however, but that's a good idea you have (blocking the top few inches of the substrate). Should I scrap the cement tub idea and and just use the 40 gal? It's 36-Inch by 18-Inch by 16-Inch and then the only thing I'll need to do is add sub and it'll be good to go.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
I think the aquarium is the way to go. Open tops enclosures are very challenging to use and maintain temps and humidity, unless you are in FLA or some other place like that. Aluminum foil for a lid may look a bit weird, but it is essentially flame proof and easy to work with.

Guggie

10 Year Member!
Vernon Hills, IL
The mixing tub works great. Keep the substrait moist - mixing in coco coir may help - and humidity should be ok.
As for temps, you'll need to get the MVB higher than the level of the lip of the tub. I suggest either getting a lamp stand or building something, but make it sturdy.