Ceramic heat emitter vs night red heat bulb

LaRue

You can tell from the title I have no idea what I'm talking. So this sulcata is still sitting in the bare crate, but outside during the day. I'm now looking at improving his indoor environment. Again just so no one thinks I'm this mean, we were looking for the owners, that's why he's been in a small bare crate. So more to the point, I'm concerned that the che heaters may be dangerous, I've seen post of them burning people and even catching on fire. I've got little kids, who by the way are awesome with pets. Anyway I also read that the red night heat bulbs are not the best for reptiles. We are planning to buy a big storage bin to keep him in, like 50". I know that's not idea, but we feel he will be mostly out side. South mississippi, is humid and hot. With plenty of hides and daily soaks, I think summer will be ok. But inside is cold and dry right now. Please let me know if you think differently.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Whichever you use, you have to place it up high enough so it doesn't burn the back of the tortoise. I like the 250 watt red brooder bulb, but I have it hanging so it's about 4' off Dudley's back. At that height, it warms up the whole shed. I used to use the CHE in indoor habitats, but I felt they were burning too much electricity. I know 100 watts is 100 watts, but it just seemed like my electricity bill was higher when I used the CHE.

My tortoises sleep at night, and at night is the only time I use a red bulb (or black for that matter). Some tortoise see substrate as edible under red lights, but if you don't use a red light when the tortoise is awake, I don't see this as a problem

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size tortoise are we talking about?

Either a red bulb or a CHE is capable of causing burns or starting a fire. Both get very hot and must be mounted correctly to be safe.

Personally, I don't like using colored bulbs. Tortoises have better color vision than we do, so if you can see with the colored light, they can see better. I think they need it dark at night.

What ever you use, you must use the correct fixture, mount it correctly, and mount it at the correct height to get the right temperature.

LaRue

What size tortoise are we talking about?

Either a red bulb or a CHE is capable of causing burns or starting a fire. Both get very hot and must be mounted correctly to be safe.

Personally, I don't like using colored bulbs. Tortoises have better color vision than we do, so if you can see with the colored light, they can see better. I think they need it dark at night.

What ever you use, you must use the correct fixture, mount it correctly, and mount it at the correct height to get the right temperature.
He is about 5". I posted about him before. I was going to get a 100 watt ceramic heat emitter and put it in a zoo med 8.5 ceramic dome clamp fixture. Having said that I see an awful pic of a girls burned hand. How do you prevent this. Also is it safe on a plastic enclosure. It clearly said not to put "in" the enclosure.

LaRue

When I say prevent, I was reading about using a wired dome, but I can't find one fully enclosed. Like a fan. If that make sense.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It cannot sit on plastic.

You prevent burns by not touching it.

You set the height of any sort of over head heating element with your thermometer. Hang the fixture securely from over head, plug it in and let it run for a while. Put a thermometer probe under it. If its too cool, lower the fixture and try again. If its too hot, raise the fixture.

What size crate is the tortoise in? How tall is it?

You need a heavier duty fixture to run a CHE. Home Depot sell stem for $10-15.

LaRue

It cannot sit on plastic.

You prevent burns by not touching it.

Really, didn't know that. Lol. I'd like some protection around it, kids are kids. But so far I only see these wire cages that go around the bulb in the uk.

What size crate is the tortoise in? How tall is it?
I haven't bought the new crate. Still trying to decide if it's a good idea. But I have seen some incredibly cool plastic crates turned into tortoise homes on this forum.

You need a heavier duty fixture to run a CHE. Home Depot sell stem for $10-15.

LaRue

My tortoises sleep at night, and at night is the only time I use a red bulb (or black for that matter). Some tortoise see substrate as edible under red lights, but if you don't use a red light when the tortoise is awake, I don't see this as a problem
How about the black lights, is that any safer? I understand the che may be better for the tortoise, but I have to think safety too. 3 kids. I'm luckly not to have rambunctious kids, but that's not to say they believe they can't get hurt.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How about the black lights, is that any safer? I understand the che may be better for the tortoise, but I have to think safety too. 3 kids. I'm luckly not to have rambunctious kids, but that's not to say they believe they can't get hurt.

Black lights get just as hot as the CHE. They just burn out a lot sooner and make light.