Chaco - would like to confirm ID & sex

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Chaco's were not on my radar until I found Bill. I am almost certain Bill is a Chaco, and after some research I am thinking sub-adult female. However, I would appreciate confirmation from those with experience with the species.

Length is 5.9" SCL, weight 757 g. Age unknown, but the shell injuries are 3 years old.

Bill profile.jpg
Bill from below.jpg
Bill\'s butt.jpg

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited by a moderator:

james1974

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Illinois
Looks female.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TortForum mobile app

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
Pretty positive you have a young sulcata tortoise there

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very similar-looking to a young sulcata, however, I think (Bill) Wilhemena is a female chaco. How on earth did you luck into this tortoise?

(Never mind, I just read your post on the rescue thread)

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is female, but I think its a small sulcata. The leg scales aren't right for a Chaco. I'll bet Kelly could help with a positive ID.

Vegas_Leopard

10 Year Member!
Las Vegas, NV
Female and I also believe she's a Chaco as well.

When I thought Chaco, I thought of this ImageUploadedByTortForum1377921379.541148.jpg
When Tom had mention the leg scales, I realized she is a Sulcata.

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
I am adding a photo of the carapace in case that helps.

Bill carapace.jpg

I had a hard time with this one and didn't post regarding ID until I did some reading. My primary reasoning for Chaco is the minimal growth around the 4th vertebral scute, damaged 3 years ago. I would think that a sulcata stunted this badly would end up with MBD or severe deformities, whereas Bill remained (reasonably) healthy. Is the absence of pigmentation on the plastron abnormal for a chaco?

It is amazing to me that two species separated at the genus level and living on different continents can look so nearly indistinguishable.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Other than the scales on the front legs, both pics look so close. I hope she is a chaco. That would be a lovely surprise. Where's Kelly, or Danny? I hope she is chaco. Cute little baby either way! : )

tortadise

10 Year Member!
Tropical South Texas
Its a female probably. But that's a stunted Sulcata. Looks a lot like a Chaco though. They can be hard to tell apart. Even sometimes I get excited about other torts being Chacos.

BeeBee*BeeLeaves

5 Year Member
Orange County, So Cal
Oh bummer on the chaco hopes. But she is still quite a darling sulcata! Good thing is sulcata are hardier than chaco which I think I understand to be a very fragile species to keep. Bill can be Billy Jean like the Michael Jackson song!

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
The scute pattern toward the rear of the carapace strongly resembles a sulcata over a Chaco , that was the first thing I looked for.

Plus the scale pattern is consistent with a sulcata over a Chaco.

I guess time will tell because a sulcata in a good environment should begin to sprout in size despite years of stunted growth

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Well, I was expecting everyone to go one way or the other on species, but at least there is a consensus on female. Both Tom & Kelly voting sulcata has me worried though. We are now calling her "Mina" short for Wilhelmina (I liked Billy Jean, but my wife gets naming privileges!).

Fortunately it makes no difference in terms of care at this point. I'll post an update once she starts growing - I think we'll find out soon enough ;).

Steve

turtlesteve

10 Year Member!
Well, here is my update:

mina 10-25.jpg

Definitely sulcata! She has added 1 1/4" in SCL in 2 months, after not growing for 3 years.

-Steve

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Do Chaco toetoises have spurs like sulcatas? Because you can see spurs on the tail picture which would tell me sulcata... But I don't know if chacos have spurs or not.