chains?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
Hi guys,

I've been hearing some terrible rumors and I'm wondering if anything is being done?

Yesterday, my cousin was telling me about a person she met who owns a few tortoises - pretty large ones - that have apparently grown so large they became a "flight risk"...so the couple who owns them drilled hooks into the tops of their shells and chained them to the wall.

I almost cried when I heard this. The sad thing is, I heard a similar story from a friend a few months ago - different people, different tortoises! I can't imagine these tortoises can't feel it...and it kills me to think that someone would think it's OK to hurt an animal in this manner, and for such selfish reasons.

Am I wrong? Is there any scientific proof out there, explaining the negative effects of this unseemly practice? I'm considering going on my own rescue mission (through the local turtle and tortoise society, of course), and I'd like to be fully prepared...

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
In the bad old days this was done quite often. A person would drill a hole in the rear marginal scutes. A chain would be attached and the other end attached somewhere. You don't see it much done now a days, but some of the old timers would recommend doing as they did it.
No scientific evidence, but it's definately considered cruelty. Tortoise usually pull on the chain so much that it wears through the shell. I have seen old tortoise where they have done this 3 or 4 times.
The last ones I saw were in Spain a few years ago.

Danny

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
I know years ago people use to drill holes in the shells of torts and tether them so they could not escape. We now view this a cruel with good reason.

This is what http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/basictortare.htm states;
It is cruel and inhumane to drill holes in the shell edges for the purpose of tying up a tortoise or tethering it by the leg.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2700
Shells have a blood and nerve supply, so bleeding and pain can result if the shell is injured.

jorrow

5 Year Member
Alabama
In my opinion no animal should be tied. If you think about it, its not only physical abuse but affects them mentaly as well. Me i'll stick with fences.

jeskamarie

5 Year Member
SoCal
Crazy1 said:
I know years ago people use to drill holes in the shells of torts and tether them so they could not escape. We now view this a cruel with good reason.

This is what http://www.chelonia.org/Articles/basictortare.htm states;
It is cruel and inhumane to drill holes in the shell edges for the purpose of tying up a tortoise or tethering it by the leg.

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=17+1797&aid=2700
Shells have a blood and nerve supply, so bleeding and pain can result if the shell is injured.

Thanks for these sites (great info here)! I've bookmarked them for future reference.

I plan to keep on "spreading the word." It's amazing to me how ignorant and cruel people can be. Let's hope things continue to change for the better...

egyptiandan said:
In the bad old days this was done quite often. A person would drill a hole in the rear marginal scutes. A chain would be attached and the other end attached somewhere. You don't see it much done now a days, but some of the old timers would recommend doing as they did it.
No scientific evidence, but it's definately considered cruelty. Tortoise usually pull on the chain so much that it wears through the shell. I have seen old tortoise where they have done this 3 or 4 times.
The last ones I saw were in Spain a few years ago.

Danny

That is just terrible! Thanks for the info though; this gives me more perspective...if people don't know it's wrong and don't care to look into it, they have no reason to stop doing this...

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
thats pretty hardcore. how would you like it if someone stuck a chain through your spine.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
DuttonWebb said:
thats pretty hardcore. how would you like it if someone stuck a chain through your spine.

Actually, Dutton, they drill a small hole through one of the marginals (that's on the edge of the carapace). I have a desert tortoise who has a hole in the marginal just above his right back leg. He is also missing half of that leg. Let your imagination tell you that story!

Yvonne

DuttonWebb

10 Year Member!
Texas, yeehaw
emysemys said:
DuttonWebb said:

Actually, Dutton, they drill a small hole through one of the marginals (that's on the edge of the carapace). I have a desert tortoise who has a hole in the marginal just above his right back leg. He is also missing half of that leg. Let your imagination tell you that story!

Yvonne

caught in a meteor shower?

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
The ignorances of peeps & their complacency in such never ceases to amaze me! Thank goodness for the good peeps who understand that all critters have physical feelings & mental ones ~ not just human critters!

Blessings,
Purpod

desertsss

5 Year Member
I have a very simple answer. If you can't properly/humanely care for the animals you choose to take in, then don't take them in. Just like these people that adopt wild cats and then keep them in tiny cages because they are too scared of them (cuz they're wild) roaming through their acreage. I think the problem is that too many people are naive, and don't fully educate themselves. I wasn't fully educated before I decided to get my torts, but I DID know what I was getting myself into. A lifelong pal who might outlive me, and will eventually become very large. If I ever thought I would be needing to tie these guys up I wouldn't have ever taken them in. With the correct housing there shouldn't be much of a flight risk.

richalisoviejo

5 Year Member
jorrow said:
In my opinion no animal should be tied. If you think about it, its not only physical abuse but affects them mentaly as well. Me i'll stick with fences.

I have to agree. I wouldn’t have a pet if the only way of keeping him were to chain him.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
And if you've ever seen a tortoise that is tethered, you will see that they don't understand why they can't move. They just keep walking, walking, walking ... in the same place.

Yvonne

purpod

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Ventura County, CA
Yvonne, I just can't imagine; what a very sad image that brings to mind!
:( Purpod

emysemys said:
And if you've ever seen a tortoise that is tethered, you will see that they don't understand why they can't move. They just keep walking, walking, walking ... in the same place.

Yvonne

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
This reminds me of the R. B. circus, that I went to when I was a kid, where the elephants were chained. My Father, who I apparently take after, cried all the way home on the train. When they come to NY, none of my family ever goes. It is a horrible site to see these majestic animals performing tricks, with no dignity. I would feel the same way seeing a Tortoise chained.

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
How horribly sad. We have a macaw and his first owner use to put him outside on a T post and chain his leg so he couldnt fly off.. Horrible stupid people out there..

sift

5 Year Member
Gulf Coast said:
How horribly sad. We have a macaw and his first owner use to put him outside on a T post and chain his leg so he couldnt fly off.. Horrible stupid people out there..

I'm curious; did they use a chain or jesses? Hunting birds (even those kept in wildlife sanctuaries and so on and so forth) have jesses that tie them to their perches or that their handlers hold onto when they're carrying them around. If it was an actual chain, though, that's definitely horrible.

As for the tortoises, I can't imagine how horrible it must be to witness them walking and walking and never getting anywhere. I know it bothers me just to see them behind glass at a petstore when they keep rubbing their little faces against it trying to get where they can't possibly go. :(

Gulf Coast

5 Year Member
Mississippi Gulf Coast
it was a chain.. kind of like you would use on a small/med size dog.. Not a leash but an actual chain.. He used something that looked like a U with a screw thru it, he would stick this around his leg hook the chain to it and there he would stay until it was time to head back inside..

Edit to say.. I'm sorry, I didnt see your question until now.

Status
Not open for further replies.