Chalk up another one for the anti-coil light contingent

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for your help. I read your response to Chuck21570 as being "Thrifty" and buying the fluorescent fixture at Walmart, good idea !! Does the 10.0 fluorescent require a specific ballast to fire it ??
No.
As long as they are the same wattage.
I just throw away the household tube that comes with the fixture and pop in the reptile tube.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They're only effective for 6 to 8 months anyway. Depending on use.

Are you basing this off of meter readings, or mfg. recommendations? I ask because I've had 10.0 bulbs run 13 hours a day for 3 years and still make the same UV levels. Checked it repeatedly on two different Solarmeters.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Are you basing this off of meter readings, or mfg. recommendations? I ask because I've had 10.0 bulbs run 13 hours a day for 3 years and still make the same UV levels. Checked it repeatedly on two different Solarmeters.
Manufacturers reccomendation.
I have no meter as of today.
It's on my need to buy list.
I'd been throwing mine out every 8 month or so. Back when I had those little tortoises.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd been throwing mine out every 8 month or so. Back when I had those little tortoises.
Based on what I've seen with the meters, I think you've been chucking perfectly good bulbs... :(

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
One thing to consider is that the type of ballast used and quality of the fixture will make a huge difference - especially in the UVB output of the bulb and the life of the bulb. I personally don't use the cheap fixtures for that reason. There is a good reason why a quality fixture costs more in many cases.