Chalk up another one for the anti-coil light contingent

chuck21570

Location (City and/or State)
Philadelphia, PA
Hello all. I posted about this in a thread I started in the Russian tortoise thread, but thought I would share it here too, since this is a more generic thing, and can potentially help other owners.

I am new to all of this tortoise ownership, we have had him 11 days now. But I was worried because my son's new tortoise stayed buried underground non-stop the first 3 days we had him. I posted about it on the forum, and most people said it just a baby and trying to get used to its new environment. But then someone finally suggested maybe he didn't like the lights, and asked what lights I was using. I had heard coil lights could hurt tortoise's eyes, but I thought I didn't have a coil light, because I did not have a light like this:

upload_2019-9-5_7-22-49.png

However, I came to find out, when I answered that persons question, that these are also considered coil lights, despite the fact they don't actually "coil" as you would traditionally think of, and that is what I was using:

upload_2019-9-5_7-24-33.png

So, once I found that out, I changed to a T5 as suggested, and the little guy is completely different since, spending most of his day above ground, and even slept above ground for the first time last night. So it appears it was all about the lights.

His appearance is also different. On day 2-3 of having him, I noticed his eyes seemed puffy, with white rings around them. I didn't make much of it at first, because I was like "hmm, maybe they were always like that and I didn't notice it", because as my wife will tell you, I am not the most observant person in the world. But since we have changed the lights, that puffiness is gone completely, and his eyes are back to the way I remembered them being when we first got him.

So I would suggest seriously re-considering if you are planning to use, or are using, those kinds of lights.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hello all. I posted about this in a thread I started in the Russian tortoise thread, but thought I would share it here too, since this is a more generic thing, and can potentially help other owners.

I am new to all of this tortoise ownership, we have had him 11 days now. But I was worried because my son's new tortoise stayed buried underground non-stop the first 3 days we had him. I posted about it on the forum, and most people said it just a baby and trying to get used to its new environment. But then someone finally suggested maybe he didn't like the lights, and asked what lights I was using. I had heard coil lights could hurt tortoise's eyes, but I thought I didn't have a coil light, because I did not have a light like this:

View attachment 280030

However, I came to find out, when I answered that persons question, that these are also considered coil lights, despite the fact they don't actually "coil" as you would traditionally think of, and that is what I was using:

View attachment 280031

So, once I found that out, I changed to a T5 as suggested, and the little guy is completely different since, spending most of his day above ground, and even slept above ground for the first time last night. So it appears it was all about the lights.

His appearance is also different. On day 2-3 of having him, I noticed his eyes seemed puffy, with white rings around them. I didn't make much of it at first, because I was like "hmm, maybe they were always like that and I didn't notice it", because as my wife will tell you, I am not the most observant person in the world. But since we have changed the lights, that puffiness is gone completely, and his eyes are back to the way I remembered them being when we first got him.

So I would suggest seriously re-considering if you are planning to use, or are using, those kinds of lights.
Fantastic
And not at all uncommon

treyc424

New Jersey
Would you mind posting a picture of the bulb you got? I have the same bulb you had and am having the same issues with my hatchling. I'm going to switch it out today. I'm not taking the risk. Thank you for sharing!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Would you mind posting a picture of the bulb you got? I have the same bulb you had and am having the same issues with my hatchling. I'm going to switch it out today. I'm not taking the risk. Thank you for sharing!
The bulb is in the original post. Any bulb that is corkscrew or U shaped is a coiled bulb and should not be used. A tube florescent or a regular looking screw in bulb whether incandescent or flood type are the right fixture type.

treyc424

New Jersey
Hi thank you I meant the replacement bulb. I realize I have the one that is dangerous. I'm not sure what to replace it with. I've tried googling some of the suggestions but I don't know if I'm getting the right thing. I'd love a pic.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Hi thank you I meant the replacement bulb. I realize I have the one that is dangerous. I'm not sure what to replace it with. I've tried googling some of the suggestions but I don't know if I'm getting the right thing. I'd love a pic.
A strip tube florescent.
It's a long tube.
I use the 18" Reptisun 5.0 for my Redfoot.

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
i will take a picture of the exact box I got tonight. I forget exactly which one I got, or I would take a screenshot of it and post it now. but yes, as the previous poster said, it is a long tube. I got the 14" so it provides light on the one side of my enclosure, so I can keep the other side a little darker, cooler, and hopefully more humid. Because I THINK that is what I am supposed to be doing. If I am not, please tell me otherwise!

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
Thank you for posting, I am trying to learn about this as well. So is there ANY screw in bulb that provides UVB and is safe and can be used?

cdumitru78

Portland, OR
@Blackdog1714 , thank you for the reply, I see that there are quite a few options, trying to get some decent options. Do you think 2 of the Powesuns from Zoomed will give my Hermann's enough UVB exposure? I got a 4 by 2 by 2 PVC box with 3 ceramic light sockets, trying to see if I also need to add a T5HO strip or I can get what I need out of these 3 ceramic socket. Any advice would be appreciated, I am new to this...

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
@Blackdog1714 , thank you for the reply, I see that there are quite a few options, trying to get some decent options. Do you think 2 of the Powesuns from Zoomed will give my Hermann's enough UVB exposure? I got a 4 by 2 by 2 PVC box with 3 ceramic light sockets, trying to see if I also need to add a T5HO strip or I can get what I need out of these 3 ceramic socket. Any advice would be appreciated, I am new to this...
I would go with the 18" T5HO. The mercury bulbs are sensitive. One bump and it's gone. At least that has been the experience for me. I finally went to the flouresnt tube type.

chuck21570

Philadelphia, PA
Sorry for the delay. This is the light I bought. I got the 14 inch to light half of my enclosure, I think that is what I want to do, keep one side lit, the other darker and cooler. If that is not what I should be doing, please let me know.

Attachments

• 5B77D3D9-E462-4217-B68F-88BA22D2BCAA.jpeg
    5B77D3D9-E462-4217-B68F-88BA22D2BCAA.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 11

obxdevilfin

Youngstown, Ohio
Certainly a lot of good information in this thread !! I am planing an indoor enclosure of 2'x2'x6'.........what lighting do you recommend for this enclosure (hinged full top) ? This will be the future home of a Russian. Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way..............................

obxdevilfin

Youngstown, Ohio
Sorry for the delay. This is the light I bought. I got the 14 inch to light half of my enclosure, I think that is what I want to do, keep one side lit, the other darker and cooler. If that is not what I should be doing, please let me know.
I was planning on using porcelain fixtures mounted on enclosure top.............. what type of bulbs ( I've seen 3 bulb and 2 bulb setups) getting a tad confused as to what is needed and why.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Yep I had the same exact problem with the same bulb.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Yep
If you're cheap like I am....You can buy the 18" 5.0 tube at the pet shop. Then get the 18" fixture at Walmart for $9.
They're called "under counter lights".

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
I was planning on using porcelain fixtures mounted on enclosure top.............. what type of bulbs ( I've seen 3 bulb and 2 bulb setups) getting a tad confused as to what is needed and why.
Generally, most of the "screw in" UV sources aren't recommended.
However, with a ceramic base, you can use CHEs for heating in those fixtures.
Then use a strip florescent UV light.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Certainly a lot of good information in this thread !! I am planing an indoor enclosure of 2'x2'x6'.........what lighting do you recommend for this enclosure (hinged full top) ? This will be the future home of a Russian. Thanks in advance for any help you can throw my way..............................
For Russian I would use the "10.0" florescent strip light(s)

obxdevilfin

Youngstown, Ohio
Generally, most of the "screw in" UV sources aren't recommended.
However, with a ceramic base, you can use CHEs for heating in those fixtures.
Then use a strip florescent UV light.
Your info has been noted............ have to admit, I had to look up CHEs, as being a noob, didn't know this acronym..........but I am a fast learner !!