Chameleons

klinej50

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio Texas
Just bought a new chameleons from a breeder in a reptile expo. I made a mistake and bought them before research. Oops. I hope to make it right though ImageUploadedByTortForum1383418234.134156.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1383418243.081527.jpg I'm trying to learn as much as I can right now so if y'all have any advice it would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have a veiled adult male. I got him just before he was a year. He's not very friendly. My best advice, handle him a lot so he will be friendly as an adult.

Lancecham

10 Year Member!
Southern California
I have been breeding various chameleons for over 15 years. The right set-up and temperatures/humidity are crucial for chameleons. If you haven't done so already, a very valuable resource is www.chameleonforums.com
More than happy to assist you as well.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Lancecham said:
I have been breeding various chameleons for over 15 years. The right set-up and temperatures/humidity are crucial for chameleons. If you haven't done so already, a very valuable resource is www.chameleonforums.com
More than happy to assist you as well.

Thanks any helpful info you have right now will be great. I'm trying to figure everything out before I go to the store and buy things for them. They are very different from caring for tortoises. I just put some live crickets in the enclosure. Which was very creepy btw

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hey, I belong to that forum too:D. Another thing I have found over the few times I have had one. The other two were babies, purchased from the same place and neither lived long at all:(. The reason I purchased an older one this time. Don't buy or make a small enclosure. Too hard to set it up properly and easily. Also, get an automatic mister. But don't get the exo terra monsoon. It isn't worth a dollar let alone what they charge for it. Mine is less then a year old. It's the second one and hasn't worked for a month now. I have the Mist King on its way. Another thing, the dubia roaches are much better then crickets, and the horn worms are great food too.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
wellington said:
Hey, I belong to that forum too:D. Another thing I have found over the few times I have had one. The other two were babies, purchased from the same place and neither lived long at all:(. The reason I purchased an older one this time. Don't buy or make a small enclosure. Too hard to set it up properly and easily. Also, get an automatic mister. But don't get the exo terra monsoon. It isn't worth a dollar let alone what they charge for it. Mine is less then a year old. It's the second one and hasn't worked for a month now. I have the Mist King on its way. Another thing, the dubia roaches are much better then crickets, and the horn worms are great food too.

I believe mine are two months and the breeder said those roaches were to big for them to eat right now.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You feed them the younger smaller roaches, not the big adults. And be aware that crickets can chew on your new baby if left in there overnight.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Tom said:
You feed them the younger smaller roaches, not the big adults. And be aware that crickets can chew on your new baby if left in there overnight.

I only put 4 In there to see if they would go after them. I came back and only found one but I read they are good hiders. I will try and take them out if I see any tonight.

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
I love chameleons. Have kept many different species. Only have one right now an ambilobe panther.

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383427483.464938.jpg

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
DevilsLettuce said:
I love chameleons. Have kept many different species. Only have one right now an ambilobe panther.

Would you mind posting a picture of your set up?

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:

ImageUploadedByTortForum1383974619.860607.jpg
ImageUploadedByTortForum1383974638.612964.jpg

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
DevilsLettuce said:
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:

Your chameleon and set up are beautiful! I'm going to need to get a new enclosure soon these guys grow so fast!

Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199

5 Year Member
Is the one you bought a veiled chameleon? Those are pretty much the good " basic" ones to stay out with. Good luck with the little guy!

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
Leopard Tortoise Lover 16199 said:
Is the one you bought a veiled chameleon? Those are pretty much the good " basic" ones to stay out with. Good luck with the little guy!

That's the one. And thanks[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]

DevilsLettuce

5 Year Member
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:

Your chameleon and set up are beautiful! I'm going to need to get a new enclosure soon these guys grow so fast!

Thanks, set up is pretty basic and easy to clean.

klinej50

5 Year Member
San Antonio Texas
DevilsLettuce said:
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:
klinej50 said:
DevilsLettuce said:

Thanks, set up is pretty basic and easy to clean.

Yeah enclosures for chams are a lot different than torts I'm not to sure how I'm going to make a new one

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
my first ever experience with chameleons was rehabilitating a male veiled back to health. feeding was tedious; until i discovered the feeding cup :D use a wire to tie a cup to a branch and put the food in! they don't usually go to the bottom of the enclosure so keep it in his branches. also, get a plastic tub (like for butter) and poke tiny holes in the bottom. put a little bit of water in it then place it on the screen top of the enclosure....it's best if it drips on some leaves because that is the only way they drink (mimmick rain) these are the two things that saved my cham.

IMG_20130419_195209_zpscffc7718.jpg

IMG_20131110_191417_113_zps4030f831.jpg
metal screen cage 4'x2'x2' with the the sides wrapped in plastic.

IMG_20131110_191431_114_zps599d5290.jpg
two feeding cups and live and fake plants to hide in.

IMG_20130323_191920_741_zps3084a4d8.jpg
he has a pretty sweet free range tree as well :)