Change of lighting

Gazzagutbucket

Location (City and/or State)
Runcorn
Hi all,

I recently changed my UVB lighting from a single bulb to a 30 inch strip light, since then my tort, Tiddles, seems to be a bit sluggish etc.

I am about to buy a reflector for the tube as they were out of stock initially. Could the change in lighting be the cause of the slowdown?

He is still eating and passing urine and poo.

Thanks in advance.

Gazzagutbucket

Runcorn
Hi, yes, i'll take one when i get home from work, temps are 72 at cool end and approx 92 at hot end. I have a 4ft viv, strip light is positioned just off centre towards hot end.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
What size and species of tortoise?

What type of heat lamp are you using?

What type of strip bulb did you get?

Quadro

SC
I would just like to thank everyone for the info on here regarding lighting because I myself have been Using the wrong one according to what’s on here I didn’t know I was using a coil bulb and my little kyah was getting to looking as though her I say but not sure yet eyes were getting sore so I switched to the zoo med 5.0 tube lighting now she’s bright eyed and all better below is the picture of the one I was using first then the second is the one I switched to for my red foot inside .499428EB-C861-4F0A-81FF-29A67D21BCAE.jpeg1DCBC66F-21F5-403A-ADBD-D0AAF1A08A6D.jpeg

Gazzagutbucket

Runcorn
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of response over the weekend, been a little busy. All is OK with Tiddles now, i got hold of a reflector for the light and he has perked up no end.

I had a sneaky feeling this was the issue but thought best to ask on here.

Many thanks for all your replies.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Hi Guys,

Sorry for the lack of response over the weekend, been a little busy. All is OK with Tiddles now, i got hold of a reflector for the light and he has perked up no end.

I had a sneaky feeling this was the issue but thought best to ask on here.

Many thanks for all your replies.
The sluggish behavior sounded more like too cold than too little light.
Not enough UV can cause health issues over a longer period of time.
A tortoise that is more sluggish suddenly is probably too cool.
Some tortoises can become sluggish if it is too bright, actually. Like in Redfoot or Yellowfoot.
What kind of light is it?
Just curious.