Changed or minds but not our hearts.

starprince

Location (City and/or State)
New York, New York
I want to thank everyone on this forum.
We came here to get advice about how to look after our tortoise when we bought him or her home. We spent hours building what we thought was a great enclosure. Come to find out we built an open top table instead of a closed top. We followed the YouTube videos.
From reading lots of advice we see that we are not even close to being prepared to be parents. My daughter and I literally just cried and came to the conclusion that now is not the time and it might never be.
I started questioning myself after reading a few articles but then came across where someone asked “ What do you wish you had known then that you know now.”
Those answers really opened my eye.
You are an amazing group.

Thank You,

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I hope that the info we share here helped you make the right choice for you and your family. Tortoises are fantastic pets, and I find them easy to care for in comparison to some others, but they certainly are not for everyone. Whenever that is the case, its best that people find out before they bring one home.

If you decide a tortoise isn't the right pet for you, but you still want a reptile pet, look into bearded dragons, blue tongue skinks, crested or leopard geckos, and some of the smaller scale species. I hope you guys find the right pet for your family.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I fell bad we may have talked you out of it. Keeping a tortoise is very gratifying and I hope you get one eventually. It's good that you've read about them and how to take care of them. And the thread "What you wish you knew before getting your tortoise" is a good eye opener for new tortoise keepers. But don't let it dissuade you.

Reactions: Ink