Changing out the substrate??

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
The tort enclosure was smelling like something super funky... So I changed out the substrate (I'm thinking there was some old hay still mixed in there?). My question is, if cococair doesn't mold/mildew then, how often do you change it?? I've been keeping it as humid as possible, complete with foil lid and all, but I also wanted to know if anyone else has experienced the super funk smell (seriously, can't get the smell out of my hands!)

Thanks!

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
ascott said:
Can you describe the funk please?

Hmmm.... Rotting substance, but not like the familiar mold/mildew, extremely foul smelling feces...

Insert break...

I just drew a bath for my son and I think its our WATER!!! So gross.. As if I didn't know our water wasn't up to par before... I can faintly smell the initial notes of the OPs funk, fresh from the tap...

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Bonifay, FL
I have been wondering as well how often to change the coir, I spot clean and have added a few bricks to the orginal coir mix as well, wondering how long its gonna be good for?? Hope someone answers your question for me too lol

Morty the Torty

5 Year Member
I was wondering if anyone has concerns with your tort ingesting the coco coir? Morty keeps dragging it onto the food tile and it's getting on his food:(

nikki0601

5 Year Member
Bonifay, FL
Mine does this also
Sullydiggin.jpg

I dont worry bout it too much, it is said to be safe to be ingested in small amounts and I never see my Sully eating it unlessa small grain or two is on his food

He digs and throws the coir onto his tile where I put his food

JLSchmittou

5 Year Member
Morty the Torty said:
I was wondering if anyone has concerns with your tort ingesting the coco coir? Morty keeps dragging it onto the food tile and it's getting on his food:(

I use both the coir and chunks and pulled a thread of the chunks out of Bishops mouth the other day (and he was NOT pleased!)...?

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
There is no simple answer like toss it every two months. It depends on when YOU think it smells or is looking "dirty". A lot of it is of course dependent on how many tortoises, what size they are, what you feed, how often and how well you do the spot cleaning. Also you can do spot changes of areas that are more prone to becoming soiled and not do a complete change out.

I usually do a complete change twice a year (or once on the tortoises who live outside).

I use mainly the coir/sand combo, but then have areas with leaf piles, cypress mulch, of long strand sphagnum also. I don't get concerned with them eating a little of the substrate, as I know they are healthy, active, and hydrated, and eating well. In the wild, they would be eating some of the soil and leaf litter , too (plus soil has sand in it naturally also). I am not so sure that a little may not have hidden benefits even.

Status
Not open for further replies.