Chat thread 2.22

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
Good morning, even though it's a very chilly one (I think 3*) and very very windy. I thought with today's unique date, it would be a good time to start a new thread and put the old chat to sleep.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Brrrrr "ggggoooddddd mmmmmmorning" said through chattering teeth. I just checked the windchill (what it really feels like outside) and it's -19. I was out working in the yard in a tee-shirt yesterday.

How are ya doing?

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
You can tell how cold it is out by Piper. Piper is my very fat female Chihuahua. If it's cold, she goes about six feet from the door and stops. You have to carry her outside. I swear she weighs a ton.

I was nice and just turned on a space heater for her.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Brrrrr "ggggoooddddd mmmmmmorning" said through chattering teeth. I just checked the windchill (what it really feels like outside) and it's -19. I was out working in the yard in a tee-shirt yesterday.

How are ya doing?
That is NOT good tortoise weather. That is my simplistic view of the daily weather. Whether or not it is good tortoise weather. I get really grumpy on days that are not good tortoise weather, and I walk around smiling and happy on days that are good tortoise weather. It was low to mid 80s here all last week. Now we've dropped into the 60s for 3 days, and then back up to high 70s and low 80s again. I brought my Chersina out of hibernation during the weeks of warmer weather, and he's been eating like a little piggy. I'm sure glad I have that heat lamp installed in his night house to use over him for the next three days of cold and overcast weather.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
***Yvonne waves back towards Jacqui***

Hey, kiddo! How the heck are you? All good here, with the exception that I can't seem to get my energy back after my accident a WHOLE YEAR AGO!!!!! How long is it supposed to take, for cryin' out loud? There's so much to do, and I just can't force myself to do it.

We've had some pretty nice weather here. The box turtles are waking up. I've been able to let all the tortoises out of their sheds during the days because the sun is shining. ANd the SA leopards have finally learned to go back into the shed on their own. . . I don't have to hunt them down in the evening anymore. Yea!

So good to see you're getting your 'new' house all fixed up and now have running water! I can't imagine the work you're having to put into getting it all tortoise friendly. But it's great that Jeff is now local!

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
That is NOT good tortoise weather. That is my simplistic view of the daily weather. Whether or not it is good tortoise weather. I get really grumpy on days that are not good tortoise weather, and I walk around smiling and happy on days that are good tortoise weather. It was low to mid 80s here all last week. Now we've dropped into the 60s for 3 days, and then back up to high 70s and low 80s again. I brought my Chersina out of hibernation during the weeks of warmer weather, and he's been eating like a little piggy. I'm sure glad I have that heat lamp installed in his night house to use over him for the next three days of cold and overcast weather.
I don't really mind a bit of winter and this one has actually pretty mild. Your 80s is starting to get too close to my uncomfortable zone of upper 90s. 🙃 On the cold days, I think about my heating bills, windy ones my allergies, cold nights I worry most about Jeff's truck jelling up. The grey days really make me depressed. Nice days it's how much yard work I have to do. Lol see, just never happy.

I really miss not being able to just sit outside and enjoy nature. Be it watching a box turtle stalking a worm. The big guys doing their sheep grazing. A water turtle trying to do a sneak peek at me. The butterflies dancing on the breeze. I just keep reminding myself and the tortoises that it's coming.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
***Yvonne waves back towards Jacqui***

Hey, kiddo! How the heck are you? All good here, with the exception that I can't seem to get my energy back after my accident a WHOLE YEAR AGO!!!!! How long is it supposed to take, for cryin' out loud? There's so much to do, and I just can't force myself to do it.

We've had some pretty nice weather here. The box turtles are waking up. I've been able to let all the tortoises out of their sheds during the days because the sun is shining. ANd the SA leopards have finally learned to go back into the shed on their own. . . I don't have to hunt them down in the evening anymore. Yea!

So good to see you're getting your 'new' house all fixed up and now have running water! I can't imagine the work you're having to put into getting it all tortoise friendly. But it's great that Jeff is now local!
It takes what it takes. No need to rush it. Sit back and enjoy. Part of that is just getting old, atleast that is what Jeff and I keep telling ourselves. Lol

We have a nice day or two and then several days of winter blast. Thank goodness, no repeats of last year's cold. *knocks on wooden head*

Glad the leopards have decided to be kind and more self reliant about going in at night.

About the water...ummm that's a story for another post. 🥸

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Not knowing where a “Land Far Away” is located…I’m guessing far away from here.

I did spy some Southerners going North this morning.

View attachment 340849
Psssstt come closer. No even closer then that. Put your ear up right to the glass. *looks around to make sure nobody else is near and whispers, "Nebraska".

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I don't really mind a bit of winter and this one has actually pretty mild. Your 80s is starting to get too close to my uncomfortable zone of upper 90s. 🙃 On the cold days, I think about my heating bills, windy ones my allergies, cold nights I worry most about Jeff's truck jelling up. The grey days really make me depressed. Nice days it's how much yard work I have to do. Lol see, just never happy.

I really miss not being able to just sit outside and enjoy nature. Be it watching a box turtle stalking a worm. The big guys doing their sheep grazing. A water turtle trying to do a sneak peek at me. The butterflies dancing on the breeze. I just keep reminding myself and the tortoises that it's coming.
I can relate to all of that. The area where I live has the most days where I didn't wish the weather was different in a given year. Maybe that's why I stay here... So much of every year is comfortably between 65 and 85 here, and almost always sunny. Its the days in the 50s in winter, or 100s in summer that make me complain the most. Luckily, we don't have too many days of either extreme. I too love to sit and watch my giants climb their hills and graze all day. Life is better with Chelonians in it.

TheLastGreen

Johannesburg
It's a tad nippy outside (-1), so I am trying to hide in here rather then not going out and doing chores.
Hell, -19 and -1 is hell cold. Good idea to stay in!
I’d jump for joy for -1. Where I live, right now it’s -26 Fahrenheit and -42 with the windchill. 🥶
Hell, -42, is even colder!
I'm in the land of the hingebacks. I'm by the East coast of South Africa, so it's nice and warm. Now it's around 27C, or 80F, and extremely humid! Makes sense why torts love to stay in such circumstances20220222_060642.jpg

Last edited:

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
I’d jump for joy for -1. Where I live, right now it’s -26 Fahrenheit and -42 with the windchill. 🥶
See I know others have it worst, but still gotta complain. For me, I couldn't take the colder weather. I wimped out years back, when our semi jellied up. Couldn't two days off my life. I think in the past, I may have gotten a tad bit of frost bite on my fingers, because they get cold so quickly.

Jacqui

10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hell, -19 and -1 is hell cold. Good idea to stay in!

Hell, -42, is even colder!
I'm in the land of the hingebacks. I'm by the East coast of South Africa, so it's nice and warm. Now it's around 27C, or 80F, and extremely humid! Makes sense why torts love to stay in such circumstancesView attachment 340869
I just wanna see hingebacks in the wild. Are they common in your area?