CHE and thermostat recommendations for 2x8 closed chamber?

Turningstar

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Just finished the closed chamber, but I noticed that my temp gauge shows that it dropped to 78.8 at night, even though thermostat was set at 81. Reset it at 83, and checked to make sure it worked. Gor up this morning and the temp probe said 80.1, and CHE was off and cold. The summer nights arent below 77 or so right now, but I dont want it to go below 80. My CHE is in the center of the tank for now and is 100 watts. I have another dome that I can buy another CHE for, and space them on separate sides, but will I need 2 thermostats? Any recommendations on how to go about this? Cheaply if possible!

Daytime temps are in the 88-94° range, so nights are the issue for now.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Very nice! No answer for you , as I'm not the expert on this subject.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
You won’t need two thermostats, but it might depend on the type of thermostat thst you currently have. I use the
Zilla 1000 Watt Temperature Controller from LLLReptile. You can plug more than one item into the plug, but it has one sensor.

Three-outlet device that can manage 1000 watts of heating power.

4D460881-B468-401B-9BD5-69DAC2DF064A.jpeg

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
From the looks of your enclosure, I would say you would do better with two CHE's both plugged together into the thermostat.

Over 8 feet and 2 feet wide, the insulation of the wood sides and glass front will make the areas away from the CHE substantially cooler than where the CHE is. With the mild temps you have now, the difference will be slight, but as the room temp varies more from the 80° set point, the difference will be exaggerated. You can put the sensor for the thermostat in the section of the enclosure furthest from the CHE, but that will simply make the area near the CHE warmer than your desired set temp. IN all my 8 foot enclosures, (that are very well inuslated) i use two 100 watt CHEs with each one mounted about 18" from each side.

Longhorns1187

Omaha, NE
I'm a big fan of Herpstat controllers. A little more expensive than most, but have lots of features and a solid track record. I'm running a Herpstat 2 on our monkey tailed skink enclosure and it works great.