CHE instead of heat bulb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dougielove

5 Year Member
Hi.
Wondering if someone can help.
We want to know if it will be better to use a CHE instead of a heat bulb? Our red foot has watery eyes and we think its due to the heat bulb brightness as everything else is fine.
We have a 18" strip light 5.0 UVB bulb, will this be enough to light the enclosure?
Thanks for ur help in advance 😊

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
The CHE emits heat w/o light. It's great for nighttime heat because torts need to sleep w/o lights. The bulb you're using is not allowing the tort to sleep at night if you have it on 24/7. Also, teary eyes usually is a result of too much heat or something in its environment causing irritation. What is the wattage that you're using? What is the total heat temp during the day when you're using the bulb?

kathyth

10 Year Member!
Beaumont, CA.
I would say "yes" to your question. Redfoots do not require the light that other species do.
Mine are very happy and healthy with a 20 inch Reptisun 5.0 and a CHE.

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I use CHE for night time. Heat in my. Redfoots enclosure. The reason why your torts eyes are due to your torts humidity levels and or not enough heat...What is your humidity at? What are your temps at?

Dougielove

5 Year Member
Hello,

We constantly check the heat and humidity in his enclosure:

Heat - 80-90F
Humidity - 70-80%

Heat bulb wattage is 50W. We only use this as his day time heat and have a heat mat attached to the enclosure for nighttime- no light.

Substrate is coco coir which doesn't seem to be a problem, we also bath him every other day too keep him hydrated further etc.

We recently changed from a UVB coil bulb to a strip light and hoped this would solve the problem but no joy.

Obviously we so try and push the humidity up passes 80% as much as possible but it is steady between 70-80% - we have no idea why his eyes are watering??

Any further help would be great, I think the next step though would be to get rid of the heat bulb for a CHE as he could be light sensitive? We might look at getting a humidifier to give the enclosure a boost but we are not 100% convinced on them yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.