CHE mat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

5 Year Member
I have been told that it is a good idea to hav a che mat or pig blanket in an enclosure outdoors,but I have no idea what a CHE mat is and where I can find one.Can somebody help?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Two different things. A Ceramic Heating Element is like a light bulb, but with all heat and no light. It screws into a normal lightbulb socket and hangs over head. A heat mat sits on the floor and they lay on it. Many times I like to use both, but it depends on your enclosure, your weather, the size tort you are heating, etc... I think the best heating style is neither one. I prefer to use oil filled radiant heaters for big outdoor boxes. These heat all the air inside and not just the floor or one spot. I don't like any kind of overhead bulb, including CHEs for big tortoises because they tend to create hot spots on the top of the carapace while there is not enough heat at the bottom of the tortoise.

What species and size are we talking about, and where are you?

Cassidy

5 Year Member
Tom said:
Two different things. A Ceramic Heating Element is like a light bulb, but with all heat and no light. It screws into a normal lightbulb socket and hangs over head. A heat mat sits on the floor and they lay on it. Many times I like to use both, but it depends on your enclosure, your weather, the size tort you are heating, etc... I think the best heating style is neither one. I prefer to use oil filled radiant heaters for big outdoor boxes. These heat all the air inside and not just the floor or one spot. I don't like any kind of overhead bulb, including CHEs for big tortoises because they tend to create hot spots on the top of the carapace while there is not enough heat at the bottom of the tortoise.

A sulcata and whatever size they can go outside at.

Tom said:

Also wat and where can I find an oil filed radient heater or CHE.

Status
Not open for further replies.