CHE or Radiator in outside house.

Mike&Sully

Location (City and/or State)
Buckeye, AZ
So I have mostly finished the outdoor house for my Sulcatas. It is 2 x 2 x 2 ft. I used Toms design except I put a pitch to the roof so that we can open it easier. We live just out side phoenix so it's not. Northern winter we have to deal with. Which would be better to heat the house, a CHE plugged into a thermostat or a radiator plugged into a thermostat.
Thanks for the insight.

Rick

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
You say sulcata(s)?
A 2x2x2 is not big enough for one sulcata let alone more then one.
How big are they? They shouldn't be outside 24/7 until at least 10 inches.
How cold can it get where you are? My friend in AZ can get into the 40's. I don't think a che would be enough and it's hard on the shell.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would use the oil filled radiator. The size @Tom uses.
However, unless your sully is still small, a 4x8 is really a sully size. The 4x4 is more for leopards.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Sorry. It's 4 x 4 x 2. Winter is 40s and may dip to 30s over night.
I would go with the mini oil heater.. i Think the CHE can be a bit desiccating here.. I have the same box and I had a RHP in it but it’s recently failed. I put the CHE in temporarily and ordered the mini oil heater. It just came in.. I have the 4x8 box as well and it has had a mini oil heater for three years and holds temps perfectly..

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania
Another vote for the mini oil heater. Once your sulcata is over 50lbs though it may be a tight squeeze in a 4x4x2 box.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I think the 4x4 boxes are reccomended for single Sulcata’s that are in a nice yard.. Maybe @Tom can double check me on this. They are meant to be their nightbox and warming spot only though.. by no means an enclosure.. I was under the impression that the 4x8’s were for multiple tortoise use??

Mike&Sully

Buckeye, AZ
I think the 4x4 boxes are reccomended for single Sulcata’s that are in a nice yard.. Maybe @Tom can double check me on this. They are meant to be their nightbox and warming spot only though.. by no means an enclosure.. I was under the impression that the 4x8’s were for multiple tortoise use??
I may have not been clear. This is definitely a night box. We have a couple other furrows, along with grass and hibiscus. Still working on adding grass as we can.

vladimir

5 Year Member
Pennsylvania

At about 75lbs the 4x4x2 box was too small to house an oil filled heater and I had to swap it out for a RHP. This is in Vlad's winter enclosure which is indoors.

I'm using the oil filled heater in his new outside 4x8x2 box where it's working well.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
At about 75lbs the 4x4x2 box was too small to house an oil filled heater and I had to swap it out for a RHP. This is in Vlad's winter enclosure which is indoors.

I'm using the oil filled heater in his new outside 4x8x2 box where it's working well.
That makes sense.. my 4x4 houses Pickles and he’s just at 50lbs.. I’ve always had the RHP so I didn’t think about the space for an oil heater.. the one I ordered is about 12”s wide and maybe 4”s thick. I haven’t got it put in so I may have to order another RHP…

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
So I have mostly finished the outdoor house for my Sulcatas. It is 2 x 2 x 2 ft. I used Toms design except I put a pitch to the roof so that we can open it easier. We live just out side phoenix so it's not. Northern winter we have to deal with. Which would be better to heat the house, a CHE plugged into a thermostat or a radiator plugged into a thermostat.
Thanks for the insight.

Rick
Neither will work well. Radiant oil-filled heater can do the job, but they take up too much floor space in a 4x4, which is really 39x39" inside. CHEs should not be used over larger tortoises. It will slow-burn the top of the carapace.

A 4x4 is a fine size for a single sulcata up to around 100 pounds. The best way to heat it is with with an RHP on the ceiling and a Kane mat on the bottom, both set on the same thermostat. In winter when temps are coolest, I set the thermostat to 86. In fall and spring when nights are cold but days are warm and sunny, I set the thermostat to 80. In summer when days are always near 100, I usually encourage them to burrow and live underground. During those times, I unplug the night box.