Cheap/Freebie day at the farmers market!

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Newport Coast, CA
My weekend is pretty tight and I had to forgo my usual weed expedition/walk to the farmers market. I strongly considered letting Addy fend for herself in the yard but there wasn't any human food in the house either so I made time to drive to the market. I'm glad I did; usually whenever I say "It's for my tortoise," people are interested and willing to sell or even give me something in small portions.

From the Hmong vendor who sells vegetables by the pound I bought one very small head of mustard greens; "dandelions" (these are actually smooth sow thistles but I guess most people don't know the difference); and a small handful of bitter melon vine. I asked if I could have a few Daikon radish leaves and they threw them in free. $2.

I picked up four squash flowers: thirty cents.

I saved a few turnip leaves from the baby turnips I bought for myself. The cucumbers I buy come with some of the stem still attached, so those went into the feed pile as well.

The stand that sells cactus was only selling them in cut up strips for salads this weeks; when I asked if they had any uncut paddles in the back, they just gave me a few strips. The owner there had a tortoise in his native country. Something larger than a Russian for sure; he's always trying to give me a bagful of something.

I wanted to try something different this week so I bought one mushroom at the herb stand; she went crazy for the one she found and dug up in the yard last spring. They sell "dandelions" (chicory) but in huge bunches. I asked if I could have a few of the stems that had broken off for my tortoise. "Sure, they said, "But don't you want more?" as they scooped up a handful. Apparently they sell fourteen bunches at a time to a couple that own very large tortoises!

I don't know how much she'll eat this week--she's slowing down with the weather--but she sure won't starve! (And yes, I definitely know how lucky I am to live in this climate!)

IMG_3013.JPG

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
they sell vines at your Farmers Market? Interesting

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
they sell vines at your Farmers Market? Interesting
Oh yes. Squash leaves and vines, bitter melon leaves and vines, yam leaves and vines. They are typically $2 for a large bundle.

Other cultures eat them. I primarily see them at booths specializing in Asian and Indian produce.

BevSmith

Oh yes. Squash leaves and vines, bitter melon leaves and vines, yam leaves and vines. They are typically $2 for a large bundle.

Other cultures eat them. I primarily see them at booths specializing in Asian and Indian produce.

Oooohhh I’ll be asking the farmers if they can do that too!!

daniellenc

Maryland
I saw bitter melon at my Asian market yesterday and thought about buying one except they're so big and he's high maintenance picky with new foods. Is the melon safe to feed as well or just the leaves for a red foot?

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
I saw bitter melon at my Asian market yesterday and thought about buying one except they're so big and he's high maintenance picky with new foods. Is the melon safe to feed as well or just the leaves for a red foot?

The melon itself? A little is okay but you could buy a small zucchini for much less and get similar benefit. I’d buy a big one if I had a big tortoise or a herd of little ones. My little tortoise gets a chunk of summer squash on occasion. One chunk. The human has to eat the rest!