Cheaper way to keep temp warm during winter?

Hzwolun

Location (City and/or State)
Fairfax County VA
Just curious, cause right now I have about 500w's total light bulbs (UVA/UVB) turned on every 10-12hours a day.
The House heater keeps the house around 72, the gallons tank temp is around 75-80ish f.
Idk how much the power bill will be also..

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
That's a lot of light.
Am I correct that you're using Mercury Vapor Lamps? (MVB)
Those DO provide heat. But they also dry out everything. Including the tortoise. And they suck at UVB production.
What kind of tortoise is it?
Do you know what a CHE is?
A Ceramic Heat Emitter is a much better choice for indoor heat. Especially at night. Since it gives off no light.

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
That's a lot of light.
Those DO provide heat. But they also dry out everything. Including the tortoise. And they suck at UVB production.
A Ceramic Heat Emitter is a much better choice for indoor heat. Especially at night. Since it gives off no light.
Yeah I have CHE but is in 150w, right now I have like 5-6 tanks.

Hzwolun

Fairfax County VA
That's a lot of light.
all my regular heat bulbs are like 100w's 1 50w

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Just curious, cause right now I have about 500w's total light bulbs (UVA/UVB) turned on every 10-12hours a day.
The House heater keeps the house around 72, the gallons tank temp is around 75-80ish f.
Idk how much the power bill will be also..
Closed chambers solve this problem and several other problems too. When the heat is contained inside the enclosure, you use a fraction of the electricity.

I also heat my whole room with a radiant oil heater. This way I don't need to provide any ambient heat since the whole room is kept at the correct ambient. I use 25 watt heat lamps and LEDs for ambient lighting.