Checking my setup 6 months on

Norm2020

Location (City and/or State)
Cambridge UK
Hi i originally came on the forum for some advice and have now kept my western hermanns, ive had her for 6 months now. I just wanted to share pic of her and the enclosure to make sure there is nothing i need to be doing differently or could tweek to make better.

Her current weight is 32g at a year old and shell has no ridges between scutes although her shell does go whitish time to time as see in a photo ( The camera has made it look alot whiter than it actually is ). Im a first time keeper so not 100% on early signs of any issues so be good if any advice on current condition of the shell etc.

thumbnail_IMG_20210830_110845_resized_20210830_111037380.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210829_174647_resized_20210830_111038290.jpgthumbnail_IMG_20210829_174702_resized_20210830_111038690.jpg

This is the set up i have made, which has t5 10% UVB tube and a ceramic heater controlled at 90F outside of this the room is 65F. Fed on a selection of weeds and calcium supplement. The idea is to to get an outdoor set up next summer and only bring indoors for the harsher winter months. I also added so sphagnum moss to help with humidity and she seems to burrow under this at night. I Know one of the things you guys will say is it being an open top table be assured though i am in the process of making a perspex lid to at least cover one end to increase the humidity levels.

thumbnail_IMG_20210830_110722_resized_20210830_111039079.jpg

Any advice welcome thanks

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Definitely shouldn’t have a complete open top with babies and smaller juveniles. It’s so important that you do DAILY soaks. Feed variety and make sure you spray the enclosure and cover the top first so the humidity levels get to the right temps

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Get the table covered. It really should have been covered from the beginning.
The moss can be dangerous use. If she eats it which many will it can cause internal problems. Also make sure long strands don't get wrapped around limbs or neck. I had this happen years ago with my hatchling. Luckily I seen it right away and the moss went right in the garbage.

Norm2020

Cambridge UK
Get the table covered. It really should have been covered from the beginning.
The moss can be dangerous use. If she eats it which many will it can cause internal problems. Also make sure long strands don't get wrapped around limbs or neck. I had this happen years ago with my hatchling. Luckily I seen it right away and the moss went right in the garbage.
Except for the obvious of getting it covered ( Which im starting to go towards getting a viv). Hows best to provide the humidity needed assuming i remove the moss, will damp substrate achieve what id need? I have been giving soaks every other day for 15 mins but can step this up to daily

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If you use coconut coir or orchid bark, or even a combo of both. Coir wet on bottom and orchid bark on top. They both hold humidity well.
For covering, get some 2x2x? Whatever length will reach across the table. Attach 3 or 4 on each side and then 3 or 4 across the top connecting each one on the side to the one on the other side. Then drape plastic over and staple to boards and table on three sides, leaving one side not attached so you can get into it. You can hang lights/heat from the boards going over top.