Cherry head or Red foot tortoise?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hey guys. Today I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to buy one tortoise (previously two but I read some posts about keeping pairs so I've decided against it). I can't decide if I want a cherry head red foot tortoise or a plain red footed tortoise. I love both variations but my main concern is price and size. I already have one cherry head and she's growing like a weed. So which one do you like better? Any tips?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
I have two Redfoots and they are also growing like weeds. They're averaging a centimeter a month in growth! Mine are quite different in appearance....ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435325523.113288.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1435325534.832661.jpg

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Hey guys. Today I have a bit of a dilemma. I want to buy one tortoise (previously two but I read some posts about keeping pairs so I've decided against it). I can't decide if I want a cherry head red foot tortoise or a plain red footed tortoise. I love both variations but my main concern is price and size. I already have one cherry head and she's growing like a weed. So which one do you like better? Any tips?
Redfoots seem OK in pairs. Seem more sociable than most species.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Personally if I was you I would stick with cherries. So if they breed later in life you get pure cherries. I have both types and not getting rid of any. But if I could start over I would get 1 or the other.

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada

Hi, I'm still in the long process of getting things ready to purchase a tort and have been planning on getting a cherry head myself. Is the Shelly in your other photos a cherry or a Northern red foot? I had thought from looking at her photos she was Northern, but I'm still learning.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Do you have any photos of your existing tortoise we can look at please:D?

ShellyTheTortoise71

Hi, I'm still in the long process of getting things ready to purchase a tort and have been planning on getting a cherry head myself. Is the Shelly in your other photos a cherry or a Northern red foot? I had thought from looking at her photos she was Northern, but I'm still learning.
She is actually a cherry head.

image.jpg image.jpg

Octavious22

5 Year Member
California
I have three Redfoots and I'm getting three cherry heads next month I couldn't pass on the cherries lol :)