Cherry Head OR RedFoot???

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Mansfield, Ma
I seen someone that is selling a tortoise. I wanted to know if someone could help me out and let me know if this is a Cherry Head OR a RedFoot Tortoise.

Thanks So Much

Bryan

10 Year Member!
ILoveTortoises2 said:
I seen someone that is selling a tortoise. I wanted to know if someone could help me out and let me know if this is a Cherry Head OR a RedFoot Tortoise.

Thanks So Much

Without a pic or even a description I'm not sure how we can? Here's a link to a stickied thread here describing some of the differences http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-41582.html

Cherryheads don't always have red heads so just going on that isn't a fool proof way of doing it. Snap a pic with your phone and post it and I'm sure that you'll get the answer that you're looking for then ;)

Bryan

10 Year Member!

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I'm not selling it. I seen someone that is selling this tortoise. I was wondering if it was a Cherry Head OR Redfoot. The guy needs someone to take the tortoise and I don't want to get a RedFoot I want a Cherry head instead because they can be smaller then the RedFoots. I told the seller if he doesn't find someone to buy the tortoise and needs to re-home it asap I wouldn't mind doing so. :) So this is why I'm asking :p

AnnV

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
SWFL
Sure looks like a darling little cherry head.

Ann from CT

Bryan

10 Year Member!
ILoveTortoises2 said:
I'm not selling it. I seen someone that is selling this tortoise. I was wondering if it was a Cherry Head OR Redfoot. The guy needs someone to take the tortoise and I don't want to get a RedFoot I want a Cherry head instead because they can be smaller then the RedFoots. I told the seller if he doesn't find someone to buy the tortoise and needs to re-home it asap I wouldn't mind doing so. :) So this is why I'm asking :p

Cherryheads can still get quite large. Poster Cdmay here has one that is 14" and 25lbs.! So hardly a little thing! While that isn't the average adult size, they can grow fairly large. I was aware that you weren't selling it, but I was asking you what THEY were naming it as?

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
OHH LOL... Sorry thought you were asking if I was selling :p
They are saying it is a Redfoot so I know they Cherry Heads are called Cherry Head Redfoots this person only said Redfoot. So this is why I was asking because I wanted to double check :)

Bryan

10 Year Member!
ILoveTortoises2 said:
OHH LOL... Sorry thought you were asking if I was selling :p
They are saying it is a Redfoot so I know they Cherry Heads are called Cherry Head Redfoots this person only said Redfoot. So this is why I was asking because I wanted to double check :)

No worries! While it's possible that it's a Northern Redfoot, I would guess that it's a Cherryhead or maybe even a Cherryhead hybrid. If you don't plan on breeding it then it really doesn't much matter IMO. It is a very nice tort!

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Just to clarify,

As far as we know, cherryheads ARE redfoots. The question remains whether they are a separate species (I doubt it), a subspecies of redfoot, or simply a population of redfoots with unique phenotypic expressions.

There are a number of unique phenotypes expressed amongst varying regions of the redfoots range, there's a nice discussion of this topic in the sticky threads portion of the "Redfoot & Yellowfoot" forum and at http://tortoiselibrary.com/

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
I know Cherry Heads are RedFoots :p I just don't understand the difference yet. Still learning. So I'll go check that out. Will be good to know this info :)
Thanks so much :p

Bryan

10 Year Member!
ILoveTortoises2 said:
I know Cherry Heads are RedFoots :p I just don't understand the difference yet. Still learning. So I'll go check that out. Will be good to know this info :)
Thanks so much :p

There are many differences in appearances, however both Cherryheads and "Regular" or Northern Redfoots are quite varied in color so sometimes you will see a really red "Regular" or Northern RF and a very drab Cherryhead RF that isn't red at all.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Would like to see the underside of that lil' one….
I keep and breed both type of animals , there are other differences as well noted. Overall body head shape is different. The adult males DO NOT show the “ wasp type waist” . Smaller/ earlier maturity age/size. Other physical attributes also include the marbling of the plastron/carapace , larger inner leg spur and of course the “Rudolph nose” . Cherries also seem to tolerate the colder weather better...

Bryan said:

Cherryheads can still get quite large. Poster Cdmay here has one that is 14" and 25lbs.!

HUH?.....

Bryan

10 Year Member!
N2TORTS said:
I keep and breed both type of animals , there are other differences as well noted. Overall body head shape is different. The adult males DO NOT show the “ wasp type waist” . Smaller/ earlier maturity age/size. Other physical attributes also include the marbling of the plastron/carapace , larger inner leg spur and of course the “Rudolph nose” . Cherries also seem to tolerate the colder weather better...

Bryan said:

Cherryheads can still get quite large. Poster Cdmay here has one that is 14" and 25lbs.!

HUH?.....

Not to derail the thread too much, but I guess I was a little off on her weight but she may have added some weight since 2009.....

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-8855.html

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Bryan said:
N2TORTS said:

Bryan said:

HUH?.....

Not to derail the thread too much, but I guess I was a little off on her weight but she may have added some weight since 2009.....

Bryan was pretty close...She is now 14.5 inches and 24 pounds.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Darth is amazing.

--------------------

To the OP, get and share more photos of that hatchling from several angles.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
cdmay said:
Bryan said:
N2TORTS said:

Bryan said:

HUH?.....

1 lb. off? Man I must be slipping! There goes my credibility LOL! She is truly a beautiful and amazing animal!

allegraf said:
Darth is a beast!

The 9th wonder of the world!

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
cdmay said:
Bryan said:
N2TORTS said:

Bryan said:

HUH?.....

WOW Carl ... did not know she was that big . I guess I have not seen a size reference picture of her in a long time . And I thought I had two jumbo cherries. Here is Queen Liz and Oscar' .. next to a 6.5 cherry for reference.... both adults are in the 12.4 - 14" range ...and BIG ... but not near 24 pounds. ... More like 16lb. That is one BIG A$$ CHERRY you have ... sorta beats the crap that was going around for so many years of them " being a dwarf species" or .. in your case .. it has to be a HYBRID.! (someone would post) ..
Cherries don’t get that big !!... remember those days? and Bryan .. I never knew you had credibility in the first place. This forum is full of " parrots" ....

Status
Not open for further replies.