Cherryhead doesn't eat or poop

Tortisedonk7

Location (City and/or State)
Indonesia
Ok, thanks for tips. I’ll try that as soon as I can.
The moss has already been removed days ago. Now that she has pooped, potentially eliminating the blockage maybe she will be more interested in eating and poop regularly. Fingers crossed.
I will still try to get parasite test, however from what I’m reading none of the symptoms she has point toward worms.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
No good news to report yet.
She still won’t eat much of anything I offer. Cooked squash, cook sweet potato, mango, pear, worms. Gave her a little plain boiled tuna tonight. Same reaction as always, she will eat a very small amount then just stay, smell and look at the food for 10 minutes then go away. Seems like she’s just not interested in eating which I assume is why she doesn’t poop (empty). Still don’t understand why she won’t eat. But I can tell she’s getting week and thin. Not nearly as active as she was even a week ago and her plastron is quite soft. Going to the vet tomorrow with the poop sample maybe something will turn out from that.
Hopefully someone out there has some helpful words.
Thanks

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Went to the vet on Friday. Good news is neither of them have parasites or worms. The vet gave us some kind of oral vitamin which we are giving once a day in the morning. Although I think this is causing her more stress she doesn’t need. I finally got them separated. Will see if this helps the eating behavior. But as of now things are not looking up. She still hardly eats, just a bite or two if she’s even interested. She is also hiding more than she was.

Minority2

Tortoise Hell
Went to the vet on Friday. Good news is neither of them have parasites or worms. The vet gave us some kind of oral vitamin which we are giving once a day in the morning. Although I think this is causing her more stress she doesn’t need. I finally got them separated. Will see if this helps the eating behavior. But as of now things are not looking up. She still hardly eats, just a bite or two if she’s even interested. She is also hiding more than she was.

What specific type of oral vitamins?

I don't know how thorough of a check the veterinarian did but I don't believe oral vitamins would solve anything. If may likely make things worse because tortoises hate that stuff and it's far too easy to overdose on them if not careful. A safer way of obtaining vitamins without physically force feeding is either through carrot/vitamin soaks or adding a tiny pinch of vitamin supplement to a tortoise's food once per week.

Did your tortoise's get x-ray?

Just make sure both separate large enclosures have the correct temperature and humidity levels. That you're feeding the a good ratio of plant to fruit which is around 80%/20% but always try to shoot for the ideal ratio, which is 90%/10%. In time, the bullied tortoise should eventually get their appetite back provided that they're not constantly reminded of the other tortoise's presence.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
The tort did not get an X-ray. She is a tiny thing just 50g about 3 inches long so I don’t think an X-ray would accomplish much. Even if an X-ray did show some Blockage or abnormality what could be done about it anyway...?

As for the separation, I have my doubts that this is the solution/problem. The torts were bought and raised together and I have never seen any sign of aggression. They were sharing the same hide even though I provided two separate ones.
The heathy one eats and sleeps on a different schedule, so even though they were fed together they were never really eating at the same time.
But at any rate, will follow through and continue trial separation.

I’m just so baffled by the lack of interest in food. I don’t know what to offer anymore Bc nothing seems of interest to her. I will continue to feed her mango and worms, at least 2 things she will give a taste.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Progress!
Yesterday and today I offered her peas (from frozen bag) she seems to like these more than anything else. She ate them 2 days in a row. Also got her to eat a little bit of tomato tonight. Starting tonight I gave her the vitamin mixed with water and psyllium. Hopefully that will get things moving inside her gut.
I’m not sure on the dosage of psyllium, but I sprinkle a very tiny amount in about a tablespoon of water, mix well then suck it up with the syringe, vitamin already inside.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Posting again, although I feel like I’m writing a journal here, not getting much response from other members.

Yesterday we got a very small poop. First in 2 weeks. It was About the size of 2 bee bees. It had what again looked like digested spag moss. The moss was removed from the hide about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible she is still impacted for his long...?
She’s not eating or drinking anymore. Today noticed her eyes are quite puffy, wet and don’t want to open.
For 3 days we have been administering water with psyllium and vitamin from a syringe with small plastic end just long enough to go down the throat. If I can find the right catheter tube tomorrow I’ll will start giving water and food threw that.

I just read the article about “hatchling failure syndrome” symptoms sound similar to that. Just really hoping it’s not that!!
Quite sad to see her going down hill after she was seemingly heathy when we got her. :-(

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Posting again, although I feel like I’m writing a journal here, not getting much response from other members.

Yesterday we got a very small poop. First in 2 weeks. It was About the size of 2 bee bees. It had what again looked like digested spag moss. The moss was removed from the hide about 3 weeks ago. Is it possible she is still impacted for his long...?
She’s not eating or drinking anymore. Today noticed her eyes are quite puffy, wet and don’t want to open.
For 3 days we have been administering water with psyllium and vitamin from a syringe with small plastic end just long enough to go down the throat. If I can find the right catheter tube tomorrow I’ll will start giving water and food threw that.

I just read the article about “hatchling failure syndrome” symptoms sound similar to that. Just really hoping it’s not that!!
Quite sad to see her going down hill after she was seemingly heathy when we got her. :-(
I've been following I just don't really have any advice to offer. Have you tried doing baby food soaks? Get some puree baby food like carrot, or banana and mix it with water and soak the Tortoise in that about an hour everyday. Good luck

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
I've been following I just don't really have any advice to offer. Have you tried doing baby food soaks? Get some puree baby food like carrot, or banana and mix it with water and soak the Tortoise in that about an hour everyday. Good luck

Thanks for following along!
I’ll get some baby food tomorrow and try the soak in that. What is the consistency for the soak solution suppose to be?
Also, is the idea that the nutrients will be absorbed threw the skin...? Bc I highly doubt she will eat/drink it. But will try not the less.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks for following along!
I’ll get some baby food tomorrow and try the soak in that. What is the consistency for the soak solution suppose to be?
Also, is the idea that the nutrients will be absorbed threw the skin...? Bc I highly doubt she will eat/drink it. But will try not the less.
This is what's recommended a lot for torts that aren't eating. Just try adding a whole jar to a small dish of water. Hopefully with that you might see some improvement.

Krista S

Platinum Tortoise Club
Saskatchewan

I have been following along as well, but I don’t have the knowledge or experience to be able to offer advice. I am so sorry for the struggle your little tortoise is having. It’s clear that you want the best for her and want to fix the situation. I wish I had some answers for you. Please keep trying and keep updating this thread. There is a lot that can be learned from a situation like this, especially for members like myself who are new to the tortoise world and learning as well. I am wishing you and your tortoise all the best and hoping for a positive outcome.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
She’s not eating or drinking on her own so as of this morning we have decided to feed her via tube. Using a #5fr catheter tube, administering 1cc water 2 times per day and 1cc baby food 2 times per day. It’s challenging to get the tube in the mouth of such a small tort. But once it’s in, the food and water seem to go down fine.
I tried soaking and smashing Mazuri pellet but it won’t pass though that small tube. I will try making my own food pure with Cooked squash And carrot. Hoping to get some of the oxbow critical care soon.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
She’s not eating or drinking on her own so as of this morning we have decided to feed her via tube. Using a #5fr catheter tube, administering 1cc water 2 times per day and 1cc baby food 2 times per day. It’s challenging to get the tube in the mouth of such a small tort. But once it’s in, the food and water seem to go down fine.
I tried soaking and smashing Mazuri pellet but it won’t pass though that small tube. I will try making my own food pure with Cooked squash And carrot. Hoping to get some of the oxbow critical care soon.
***Correction... #6fr catheter tube

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
We have poop! She finally let go of a heathy amount of poop. An amount equal to about 1.5-2 days worth of the heathy tort. I’d say almost 3cc with whatever liquid came with it. I was surprised that it’s a little soft, was expecting it to be hard considering the amount of time it’s been in there. Hopefully she can keep it consistent now and if we’re lucky maybe start eating again...
Just waiting for the oxbow critical care to come so she can get some good nutrition and vitamins.

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
Got the critical care on Friday. It’s the fine grind variety and even that the pieces are too large to fit though the #6 tube. The solution... sift it dry 3x in very fine flour sifter then mix with water until soupy sift again. Now we are giving 1cc veg purée 2x per day and 1cc critical care/water mix 2x per day.
I not sure about the actual volume she needs. Maybe someone can help out here...
what volume does a 50gr tort eat?!

Tortisedonk7

Indonesia
NEW development!
We noticed this morning while feeding her some white spots/legions on he neck.
See pic.
When we gently rub them with a cotton bud some it or maybe dead skin came off.
im afraid this will be contagious to the other tort (Though they have been separated for almost 2 weeks.) she is in full quarantine now with no substrate just towels and a plastic hide. No Place for bugs or ants to hide and get on her. Also thinking a little more dry environment will help.

Has anyone seen this before?
What is it?

Attachments

• 474EEB9D-21E8-4DB2-B877-FC82AC9A1A65.jpeg
    474EEB9D-21E8-4DB2-B877-FC82AC9A1A65.jpeg
    971.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 46086124-4835-4B2B-8ADC-9500CA36F132.jpeg
    46086124-4835-4B2B-8ADC-9500CA36F132.jpeg
    981.1 KB · Views: 26

pcrealty

Wynnewood
Allowing a young tortoise to sit in a little tub of water for over a half hour seems to help in getting things moving. The scrambling around, trying to get out, is what does it.
A tub of warm water helps more.

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
I was looking at those posts. From what I can see in the pics of the Sulcatas, this looks different. It’s more gray/white and doesn’t look like blisters. But maybe this is how it starts...?
@Tortisedonk7 Thanks for tagging me. Good question. Not exactly yellow bumps, and not the same species... (Although I haven't seen any more information on the mystery yellow bumps in the baby Galapagos from a while ago, either.) We still don't know what it is. Even if it were to go away on its own, you still might not be done with it.

Assume it's contagious. Be extra careful with quarantine and biosecurity precautions (hand washing), because if it is indeed contagious, you have to assume other tortoises (especially the same species) are susceptible.

@Tom @mastershake

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom