cherryhead eyes shut. Help please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortsmom

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hello, Can anyone help me? I am taking care of my 10 year old sons cherryhead tortoise while he's away for the weekend. I first noticed that there were three plates of food in his cage barely touched. My son is obviously feeding him, but hasn't told me he isn't eating. When I soaked him in warm water he was squeeking a little and trying to get out. From what I remember, he loves to be soaked. I noticed his eyes were not opened. I thought I'd try to wipe them with a soft cloth and he hissed at me (has never done that before). I'm thinking he is either scared of me or there's something wrong. I'm going to find a vet Monday, but is there anything I can do today that you know of?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Make sure he's warm enough. Because he's ill, the regular temp of his enclosure isn't good enough. Get him warmer and keep soaking him.

Yvonne

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I would not worry about the vet quite yet. I would work on improving the overall cares and diet- following the basic plan of a site like http://www.redfoots.com and offer daily soaks until it is better.

If the proper temps, humidity, diet, lighting, and other cares do not show an improvement in a few days, then you can find a vet. The 'state resources' section of http://www.austinsturtlepage.com lists known reptile vets in each state.

You do not describe the cares, but I would bet that there are some problems in some way- these guys should not leave three plates of uneaten food if things are done right.

Oh- in case you did not know, a Cherryhead is just a Brazilian color-phase of the Red-foot Tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.