Cherryhead or Northern Redfoot? (with more pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

scuseme

5 Year Member
Ok, I tried to get some more pics of our new Redfoot.

I described him to a guy at a local reptile store who breeds Redfoots, and he thinks from my description that our guy is a Northern Redfoot. The reptile guy also said if he is a Cherryhead, we got an awesome deal--we got him for $69! He said they usually sell for around $300!

We bought him at Petco and they said he is a Cherryhead.

I took a few more pics. Opinions?

Attachments

• pickles 1.jpg
    pickles 1.jpg
    444.2 KB · Views: 163
  • pickles 2.jpg
    pickles 2.jpg
    434 KB · Views: 136
  • pickles 3.jpg
    pickles 3.jpg
    304.3 KB · Views: 179

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Sorry, but none of the photos helps much. It is a nice sized, somewhat pyramided Red-foot certainly.

Some things to look for...
1. The plastron on Cherry-heads is mostly dark.
2. There will be a colorful, enlarged scale in the inside of each front elbow.
3. The tip of the nose is usually colorful and a little enlarged.

There are some other elements as well. You can check out the article I did at http://www.tortoiselibrary.com/cherryhead.html . It has several photos, many from Carl and Allegra (although neither of them is to blame for anything I mess up in the article!)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I have no doubts.. that's a Northern redfoot.

Does the plastron [ belly/bottom ].. look even close to this? -

Male1Bottom.jpg

The above is a "cherryhead".

NERD

scuseme

5 Year Member
He does appear to have the enlarged scales on the insides of his elbows.

His plastron is light colored.

His nose is kinda round, but is pretty much the same color as the rest of his head scales....

I think he has characteristics of both. Is it possible he is some kind of hybrid?

I attached more pics (sorry my camera phone is not great...)

I just want to try to be prepared for how big he will get.

Thanks!

Attachments

• pickles plastron.jpg
    pickles plastron.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 132
  • pickles head.jpg
    pickles head.jpg
    411.1 KB · Views: 109
  • pickles head 2.jpg
    pickles head 2.jpg
    443.5 KB · Views: 107

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
Yep, that's a northern hands-down. The plastron color is usually a good sign of telling northerns and cherryheads apart (northern plastrons tend to be pale or yellowish, whilst cherryheads have a darker plastron).

scuseme

5 Year Member
tortoises101 said:
Yep, that's a northern hands-down. The plastron color is usually a good sign of telling northerns and cherryheads apart (northern plastrons tend to be pale or yellowish, whilst cherryheads have a darker plastron).

Ok, once again it appears that Petco was wrong... :rolleyes:

And, I guess I'd better be prepared for him to get pretty big...

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
scuseme said:
tortoises101 said:

Actually cherryheads get pretty big too! People have cherryheads that hit the 12" mark and keep growing. The difference in size between cherryheads and a northern redfoot would just be an inch or two.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
scuseme said:
tortoises101 said:

A 6 month old 'cherryhead' -

1PlastronMarbling.jpg

You have to keep him.. alive.. for another 12 years before he gets to be 12" SCL. Also I have 2 adult cherryhead females that are 11" - 12" SCL. Not that much difference in sizes between Northerns and Brazilians/cherryheads.. the first 10-12 years.

Little chance that's a mix... coming from Petco!

NERD

Balboa

5 Year Member
PNW
As I recall the Petco "Redfoot" caresheet is actually titled Cherry Headed Redfoots or some such thing.

As Terry pointed out, its doubtful for Petco to be carrying very many "cherries" any time soon. Not cost effective.

The majority of their redfoots seem to come from "ranches" in south america. The areas where cherries come from are off-limits for export.

Most of theses critters seem to come in pyramided with shell rot, or shell rot scarring. From your plastron shot pickles looks like she could have some.

I'm not sure how they're raising them on these ranches, but it appears to be far from ideal.

scuseme

5 Year Member
Balboa said:
As I recall the Petco "Redfoot" caresheet is actually titled Cherry Headed Redfoots or some such thing.

As Terry pointed out, its doubtful for Petco to be carrying very many "cherries" any time soon. Not cost effective.

The majority of their redfoots seem to come from "ranches" in south america. The areas where cherries come from are off-limits for export.

Most of theses critters seem to come in pyramided with shell rot, or shell rot scarring. From your plastron shot pickles looks like she could have some.

I'm not sure how they're raising them on these ranches, but it appears to be far from ideal.

I don't know what kind of conditions he was in before we got him, but I
know I'll give him the best care possible now that he's our pet. :)

He may have shell rot scarring as you say, but I don't think it's currently shell rot. It's not soft or flaky, and there is no discoloration that I can tell. It feels uniformly smooth and hard. As for the pyramiding, I understand now that that is pretty typical of Petco type pet stores. It's really not bad at all though, most of his shell is smooth and even. There are just two areas where it's noticeably raised and uneven--but I still don't think it's too bad. Well, all I can do is work to stop it now.

He was in a cage with two Russian tortoises, and I think it was really dry. I don't think Petco gave him a great start, but who knows?

Candy

10 Year Member!
Alhambra, CA
Am I looking at the pictures wrong because that looks like a mixture to me. :)

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
scuseme.. pickles is pyramided over his entire carapace.. however at that size ( with regular misting, ETC. ) it will be hardly noticeable in a couple years.

I have acquired a few a couple years ago myself that were that size then that are just showing small little raised areas in the middle of each carapace scute.. all of the new growth is normal - that is the best you can hope for. It wasn't your fault it happened to begin with.

Have you studied the caresheet of mine with pics of results? - http://www.turtletary.com/redfootcare.htm

It is based on actual personal hands-on experience.. not from something I read and theorized.

Pickles will be good in your care I'm sure...

Terry K

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Its hard to tell from sure from those photos but that tortoise looks to me like one of the many farmed Colombian redfoots that have been imported over that past several years.
These Colombians often have orangish colored legs scales, pale plastrons and most of them are somewhat pyramided as yours is. They are also fairly inexpensive at the wholesale level and PetCo having them for sale wouldn't surprise me one bit.

As was mentioned before by NERD, with proper care this tortoise can grow to a nice adult.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
With the proper care.. the growth should go something like this.

This redfoot was acquired by a friend in GA. from a chain pet-store [ maybe Petco?.. not sure ] It was one of the last "Brazilians" to be found in those stores.. it was the summer of '07.

This little guy was around 6" SCL as I recall in Aug. '07 - notice the 'raised' scute growth commonly called pyramiding -

07PYRAMIDED.jpg

Today you can see the consistent smooth growth of each scute -

EVENGrowth.jpg

.. with the little 'raised' growth in the center of each scute -

PYRAMIDScutes.jpg

Today this little girl is right at 8" SCL - she should make nice babies in a couple years or so.

Hope this helped.

Terry K

scuseme

5 Year Member
Wow, thanks for the great pics Terry. I am going to do all I can to give our guy the best chance to grow healthy and beautiful like your friend's tortoise.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
scuseme said:
Wow, thanks for the great pics Terry. I am going to do all I can to give our guy the best chance to grow healthy and beautiful like your friend's tortoise.

Actually my friend found her for me.. she is in my group now - the first pic was taken in my back yard Aug. '07 and those last pics were taken today in my building with the others. I'm showing how by following the proper care they will "out-grow" mild pyramiding.. eventually.

Keep us posted...

Terry K

scuseme

5 Year Member
Redfoot NERD said:
scuseme said:

Actually my friend found her for me.. she is in my group now - the first pic was taken in my back yard Aug. '07 and those last pics were taken today in my building with the others. I'm showing how by following the proper care they will "out-grow" mild pyramiding.. eventually.

Keep us posted...

Terry K

I will for sure, and thanks again for the great info and advice as I get started on this journey of being a tortoise owner!

drift2sea

5 Year Member
Some where in time
Petco told me the same thing.The description tag on the tank actually said cherryheaded red foot tortoise.The sales person said its a cherry head when i asked why it didnt look like the one in the care sheet which has bad info for beginners care.Just said that i have to wash off the residual substrate dust and her color will come out.This one almost looks like Jazz.I got lucky on the pyramiding very slight i think she willl grow out of it as she gets bigger.I keep an eye on her food and habitat settings to promote this.Take the care sheet and save a tree go recycle it,get good hands on info.Not something to sell an overprice product that is neglecting your pet.I made these mistakes and am pretty mad at myself now.

69$ i paid 119.00 for mine.I think i need my head examined again.

Status
Not open for further replies.