Cherryhead Shell Rot/Shell Fungus: Is this Serious?

Evereigh Mann

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Hello--

For years I have had Brazilian Redfoots (Cherryheads) and I have never had issues with fungus. I have never added anything to the substrate of their pen: just the natural dirt/loamy sand of this island off the Gulf Coast of Florida. About mid-summer I decided to put cypress mulch in there, though maybe it wasn't such a good idea: all of a sudden I have discovered fungus on the plastrons of two of my Cherryheads. I don't pick them up very often, and I didn't notice any fungus on there @1 month ago when last picked up. One merely has fungus spots, whereas the other has the small spots as well as three small areas where the plastron looks to have chips taken out, though not all the way through the plastron.

I have started rubbing athlete's foot cream (clotrimazole) on the plastrons over the weekend. Is a regular application of the cream over the next few weeks sufficient, or is the condition on the tort pictured below considered serious?

Thank you!

Attachments

• c8170cc5-58fd-45da-9203-8772868ca0fd.jpg
    c8170cc5-58fd-45da-9203-8772868ca0fd.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 23

Evereigh Mann

5 Year Member
FL
It's no biggie. The cream will knock it out in about a week.

Thanks Todd--

I am VERY relieved to hear this. The two or three small areas that appear like the onset of termite damage in wood are nothing to lose sleep over? This will take care of itself over time?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks Todd--

I am VERY relieved to hear this. The two or three small areas that appear like the onset of termite damage in wood are nothing to lose sleep over? This will take care of itself over time?
Once you stop the fungus that'll stop too. Just keep an eye out for the fungus going forward. If you catch it right when it starts it's no biggie. It's when it's been going on for a long time that the shell damage starts.

Evereigh Mann

5 Year Member
FL
Thanks Todd. Will those small "chipped" areas regenerate/grow back, or will it always look like this?

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Thanks Todd. Will those small "chipped" areas regenerate/grow back, or will it always look like this?
I honestly can't say because I don't have any first hand experience. I would assume it'll always be like that now though. @ZEROPILOT can probably answer that better.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I honestly can't say because I don't have any first hand experience. I would assume it'll always be like that now though. @ZEROPILOT can probably answer that better.
The areas will harden soon after the fungus is dead, but look the same for a very long time.
As the tort gets larger. The areas will smooth out.
I usually leave my group alone. Let's face it....They like it that way.
But during the rainy season, I DO pick up each tort and give them a full physical inspection.
Fungus seems to effect my younger, smaller RF. I believe that's because they are always in contact with the wet grass and mulch. Not higher up like an adult with longer legs.
At any rate, it's not uncommon.
Catching it early, as the OP has done is the key to a nice recovery.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
The million dollar question is “Did the Cypress mulch contribute to the onset of the fungus”? or, were conditions just right for fungus/shell rot regardless of new substrate?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The million dollar question is “Did the Cypress mulch contribute to the onset of the fungus”? or, were conditions just right for fungus/shell rot regardless of new substrate?
It's 100% how damp is the mulch and how much time does the animal spend in constant contact with it?
My enclosures have grassy areas, soil areas and flat, cement areas as well as mulch.