Cherryhead tortoise enclosure!

ilovemytortoise11211

5 Year Member
Hi is this a good setup for my cherryhead tortoise Sheldon? Vet told me to keep him on carpet to prevent impaction. Also bedding that you can buy from your local pet store like reptibark or forest floor is VERY DUSTY! Which can cause respiratory problems for your tortoise. So back on to the subject of my enclosure. It is 8ft by 3ft which should last him a while and it ensures he gets the exercise he needs because he loves to walk around! I covered the 2 ends with plexi glass and today I am getting the farthest plexi glass a wood strip to stand up so it won't make a u shape. The plexi glass has helped me a lot with humidity. Keeping it at a 60%-70% range. In California it's quite hard to keep up the humidity since it's so hot and dry. So here are the pics of the enclosure. Also the temp is at about 95 degrees on the basking spot... And the overall enclosure is about 83 degrees and his hide maybe about 75-80 degrees depending on time of day! Okay now for the pics lol. ImageUploadedByTortForum1397839616.112881.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839630.147994.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839643.036015.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839660.124663.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839678.915544.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839691.706480.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1397839704.157545.jpg

So I need your opinion? Is this a good setup for him? The middle is open for air flow btw. And the plastic container I filled with moss. Thank you guys for your help! :)

jaketheskate

5 Year Member
Is the carpet to help some sort of previous health issue? Otherwise Eco earth coco coir is a great substrate. I don't know if all carpet is the best way to go.

ilovemytortoise11211

5 Year Member
I've changed Eco earth way too dusty also it caused fungus on his shell. I feel that carpet and moist moss works best.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I personally like eco earth . The way you keep it dust free is keep it damp but not wet . Add real plants and grass . It makes the perfect eco system for them . He can bite the carpet and become impacted . The best way to make him healthy and happy is an outdoor setup .

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
i'd change from reptile carpet to coco coir to hold humidity red foots are a humid species without the humidity your tort will pyramid

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You may be asking for trouble clamping those lights like that. The clamps fail quite often, dropping the lights down into the habitat and maybe starting a fire. You're better off not using the clamp part, and hanging the lights.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
That is a wonderful large enclosure. A very good size.

See what other Redfoot owners say, but long term, carpet just isn't good for their muscle development. They can push off normally.
Of course, the humidity will be impossible to maintain unless the carpet is wet.
Coir is great, but you do need to pour water in and mix, 1-2x per week. I like Coir mixed with organic Topsoil. If you do this, it won't be dusty.

You have a great basic set up, but might want to tweak how your lights are attached, and also the substrate.
Then add some tortoise safe plants, moss, etc.

ilovemytortoise11211

5 Year Member
Okay thanks! I'll be making some adjustments then! And how do you guys think I should hang the lights? I still want to use the same structure... Got any ideas??

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Zoomed sells light stands . You can hang them safely from them .