Cherryhead with one less Scute on the vertebrae

VicTorres

Location (City and/or State)
Miami, FL
I am about to buy my first Cherryhead but noticed it has one less Scute on the vertebrae, is this something of concern?

Attachments

• FA087FBC-3E13-437A-AFD1-E08B4F9C8CD3.jpeg
    FA087FBC-3E13-437A-AFD1-E08B4F9C8CD3.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 10

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I am about to buy my first Cherryhead but noticed it has one less Scute on the vertebrae, is this something of concern?
Not a problem. This can be a result of high incubation temperatures, and sometimes there is a genetic component.

Your tortoise is already pyramiding. Are you housing it indoors in a large humid closed chamber? If not, you should be, and you need the correct types of bulbs too to prevent carapace desiccation. Outdoors full time is great for adults and larger juveniles, but not for babies.

VicTorres

Miami, FL
Not a problem. This can be a result of high incubation temperatures, and sometimes there is a genetic component.

Your tortoise is already pyramiding. Are you housing it indoors in a large humid closed chamber? If not, you should be, and you need the correct types of bulbs too to prevent carapace desiccation. Outdoors full time is great for adults and larger juveniles, but not for babies.
Thank you for pointing that out… I have not purchased it yet. Should I just pass on it and continue my search for a little one? Or is it something that can be saved? Thank you… he’s asking for $275 should I negotiate price because of the pyramiding?

Here is a picture of it from a better side angle.

Attachments

• C59590A4-D44B-4A85-AF3E-89387366544A.jpeg
    C59590A4-D44B-4A85-AF3E-89387366544A.jpeg
    105.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 647EE3F1-F0C8-42A5-B59E-88080A73690F.jpeg
    647EE3F1-F0C8-42A5-B59E-88080A73690F.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 7

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you for pointing that out… I have not purchased it yet. Should I just pass on it and continue my search for a little one? Or is it something that can be saved? Thank you… he’s asking for $275 should I negotiate price because of the pyramiding?

The pyramiding is an indicator that it was housed to dry, and/or outside all day. The damage may be only cosmetic, and this little guy might grow up to be a healthy fantastic tortoises with a great personality. Or, there may be more damage that can't be seen inside. I would ask some questions before making a decision:
1. How was the baby housed after hatching?
2. How often was the baby soaked?
3. What was it fed?
4. Has it been under a heat lamp or MVB?
5. How much time did it spend in the brooder box after hatching?
6. What substrate has it been on?
7. What media was it incubated on?

The answers to these questions will give you a better idea of whether this is a healthy baby with some minor fixable cosmetic damage, or if there are likely to be more serious underlying problems from chronic dehydration.

VicTorres

Miami, FL
The pyramiding is an indicator that it was housed to dry, and/or outside all day. The damage may be only cosmetic, and this little guy might grow up to be a healthy fantastic tortoises with a great personality. Or, there may be more damage that can't be seen inside. I would ask some questions before making a decision:
1. How was the baby housed after hatching?
2. How often was the baby soaked?
3. What was it fed?
4. Has it been under a heat lamp or MVB?
5. How much time did it spend in the brooder box after hatching?
6. What substrate has it been on?
7. What media was it incubated on?

The answers to these questions will give you a better idea of whether this is a healthy baby with some minor fixable cosmetic damage, or if there are likely to be more serious underlying problems from chronic dehydration.
Great, I really appreciate all this info! Thank you 🙌🏼

zovick

10 Year Member!

I would look for a different baby if it were me. Personally, I don't like abnormal scutes on any tortoise, and with the beginning of pyramiding you don't know if the animal was started properly or not, as Tom said.

Also the price of $275 probably indicates that the seller has already discounted the pricing due to the scute abnormalities. It is possible the seller hoped you would not notice the abnormal scutes and jump at the price so he/she could be relieved of the animal.

VicTorres

Miami, FL
Hi guys, I appreciate everyone’s input 🙌🏼 I ended up buying a different little guy from someone else here in South Florida. Here is a pic of my new cherryhead 🐢

9B0AF014-15B5-4853-BEF7-80854D810E9C.jpeg