Cherryheads VS Redfoots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rsross1970

5 Year Member
O.K. I know I'm a newbee here but I wanted to get some explination of what is the difference between a Cherryhead and a Redfoot? Are they the same, just a different color pattern? Are they a tortoise that is a different size from one another when reaching adulthood? Are they Cherryheads as outgoing as the redfoots when it comes to being social? What are the requirements of each? Are they the same?........:cool:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
I'm not a redfoot aficionado, however, I believe there is only one name for both of the types: Geochelone carbonaria. But someone with more redfoot experience can clue you in better than I.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
The cherryhead is a southeastern (mainly Brazil south of Amazon basin) form of Geochelone (Chelonoidis) carbonaria the redfoot tortoise. The difference between a northern and southern (cherryhead) is not that great (no dwarfs) in my experience as my largest female is a 2+ kg (approx 6 lb) southern. As far as care and personality I see no difference.

rsross1970

5 Year Member
Itort said:
The cherryhead is a southeastern (mainly Brazil south of Amazon basin) form of Geochelone (Chelonoidis) carbonaria the redfoot tortoise. The difference between a northern and southern (cherryhead) is not that great (no dwarfs) in my experience as my largest female is a 2+ kg (approx 6 lb) southern. As far as care and personality I see no difference.

Thanks for the information. I just was curious because sometimes cherryheads when you see them listed online they are called redfoots and sometimes they are in their own listing. It id somewhat confusing. I like the look of the cherryhead and from what I've seen when it comes to being for sale. The cherryheads are somewhat more expensive then a regular redfoot. Oh well I'm learning as I go. Thanks for giving me some idea of it. :D

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I think people list them as cherryheads because it sounds more interesting, also they tend to stay smaller which interest more people. Also people like the redheads of course. So more of a marketing thing i want a redfoot tortoises or cherryhead, i think they are awesome looking tortoises

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
I raise 3 different types of red foots. They are at this point all considered the same species. This may or may not stay that way and there are considerable differences, for sure! Take the time to look into what you want. "Cherry Heads" do tend to stay a bit smaller, though I would never use the word "Dwarf". My Bolivians on the other hand are quite the other story (on the beefy side). So whatever???? I have only seen a few thousand red foots of all types go through S. FL over the last 20 years. Maybe I am still an amateur? I guess I will figure it out one day. Best wishes Douglas

Kristina

10 Year Member!
Cadillac, Michigan
How do you differentiate one type from another? What are the phenotypical differences?

elegans

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Yes, they are the same species. That being said, they are as different as a Hermanns to a Marginated. They will hybridize and many hybrids have been sold. Cherryheads are not really "Dwarfs" but they tend to run on the smaller side of the species. There are really quite a number of traits are markedly different. Douglas

Status
Not open for further replies.