1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Chersina Angulata Working Group

Discussion in 'Bowsprit tortoises' started by Sterant, Dec 28, 2017.

1. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

Location (City and/or State):
    South Africa - Cape Town
    Ok took better pics of the area she likes to lay in. It is (if I think about it) the one area in the garden where there is sand and gets sun for most of the day. Where the little christmas hat is, is where she lay her egg yesterday. 20180526_113151.jpeg 20180526_120953.jpeg 20180526_212142.jpeg
    Tom likes this.
  2. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    Okay some feedback. As far as I know, (although I am not at home for most of the day during the week) I have not noted my female laying another egg yet. Day 23 after the last egg should have been the 17th of June. It is possible that she has laid another egg while I have not been at home, I have not observed any disturbances either. But they are very good at hiding their nest area and it is quite difficult to see any disturbance. So we will see if any more have been laid - I guess around March / April next year.

The first egg she laid in my above post day 90 is 17 August 2018. I will start checking the site everyday from then on - A reminder has been set in my calendar. But more than likely it will hatch in March / April next year as has been discussed.

Any updates on your eggs Dan?
    Sterant likes this.
  3. Sterant

Sterant Well-Known Member

Albany, NY
    HI Carol - Thanks for the info. My females have produced 7 eggs this year. 2 of them were recent and are in the incubator now. Waiting to see if they are fertile. the first 5 were not. One thing I did notice with the first 5 was that they all developed an air pocket inside. The air pocket slowly got bigger and bigger and then the egg went bad. For the two current eggs, I increased the humidity in the incubator to 90% and the air pockets have not developed. I will keep you updated if either of these eggs turn out to be fertile.
    CarolM likes this.
  4. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    Now that you mention the air pocket, my last egg also had an air pocket. It also turned out to be infertile. I was reading the various threads about Angulata and one if them mentioned that when they first started they were getting lots of infertile eggs. So they changed the diet and after that the fertility of the eggs improved. I will need to go and read them again to see who it was.
    Sterant likes this.
  5. Sterant

Sterant Well-Known Member

Albany, NY
    I think I mentioned that earlier in this same thread. It was a friend of mine, Dwight, That mentioned the diet change impacting fertility. I have to get some statistics from him so we understand how much fertility improved.
    CarolM likes this.
  6. CarolM

CarolM Well-Known Member

South Africa - Cape Town
    Yes that is correct. It was you who mentioned it and was about your friend Dwight. But on Shellfreak's thread.