Chersina Angulata Working Group

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Hi Carol. They are doing great. The females have both been laying eggs right along through the spring with the latest nest two days ago. They have produced 6 eggs so far this season. I'm hopeful the latest two are fertile - assuming my male was successful breeding with them. If I see any signs of life, I will certainly let you know!
That is great. Would certainly be awesome for your program. Glad it is going well. [emoji1] So I take it that the first eggs are or were infertile?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That is great. Would certainly be awesome for your program. Glad it is going well. [emoji1] So I take it that the first eggs are or were infertile?
NVM i just remembered that the last time we spoke you mentioned that the females had not been with a male at the time. Good luck with the new eggs.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Snakes at sunset is a dealer in Miami, they have a store there too. I was going to order a Redfoot from them but never followed thru. Reviews are mixed

PA2019

5 Year Member
Tucson, AZ
I emailed Chris after posting the link and he was already aware of the animals.

Here are the photos :)

bowsprit.jpg bowsprit2.jpg bowsprit3.jpg bowsprit4.jpg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I emailed Chris after posting the link and he was already aware of the animals.

Here are the photos :)

View attachment 239352 View attachment 239353 View attachment 239354 View attachment 239355
Thank you for posting the pictures for us. They are quite beautiful. Am I correct in thinking that they are both female? As I couldn't really see any concave in the plastron. But then it does not show the full plastron either, so maybe I am wrong. From my experience the females also tend to be on the smaller side compared to the males, but these might still be young. I couldn't see on their website any angulata for sale. But I would imagine that it could just mean that they are the only ones that they have available, and they are being selective about who they sell them too. Anyway I was just interested in seeing what they looked like, as I know that there are not many available overseas, because our conservation authorities don't allow them to be exported into the trade market. I do wonder where and how they got them though. Interesting. Thank you for sharing.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
So apparently my female laid an egg today in her favorite spot. When do you think I should start watching the nest site to see if it has hatched?

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
So apparently my female laid an egg today in her favorite spot. When do you think I should start watching the nest site to see if it has hatched?
Well, I have read research that clearly states that egg will not hatch until next year in March or April. I think we had a discussion before where I mentioned that same research and the findings that all wild chersina hatch in March or April regardless of the date of oviposition. Hard to believe, but comes from a solid source and viable research. So, if it were me, I would protect the site, and take a look out there every day starting 90 days from now....just to be safe, with expectations that it might not hatch until March of next year.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Well, I have read research that clearly states that egg will not hatch until next year in March or April. I think we had a discussion before where I mentioned that same research and the findings that all wild chersina hatch in March or April regardless of the date of oviposition. Hard to believe, but comes from a solid source and viable research. So, if it were me, I would protect the site, and take a look out there every day starting 90 days from now....just to be safe, with expectations that it might not hatch until March of next year.
I thought it might be something like that. But just wanted to be sure. And do you think she might lay more. Because if she does I don't want to limit her access to the site. I have the top of a bird cage which I want to use to protect the site. If she wants to lay more eggs then I will need to hold off on using it.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I thought it might be something like that. But just wanted to be sure. And do you think she might lay more. Because if she does I don't want to limit her access to the site. I have the top of a bird cage which I want to use to protect the site. If she wants to lay more eggs then I will need to hold off on using it.
I don't think we have discussed yet the time period between egg laying for them.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
I don't think we have discussed yet the time period between egg laying for them.
The minimum time is 23 days. This is taken from a good sized sample set, and one of my females has hit exactly 23 days 2 times in a row now. In South Africa, they are reported to take a break for a couple months in late summer, but you might be at the beginning of her laying 2 or 3 eggs in the next few months.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The minimum time is 23 days. This is taken from a good sized sample set, and one of my females has hit exactly 23 days 2 times in a row now. In South Africa, they are reported to take a break for a couple months in late summer, but you might be at the beginning of her laying 2 or 3 eggs in the next few months.
Okay great. So any suggestions on how to protect the site without limiting her access to it? As I don't think the bird cage top will work then. She won't be able to go back there if I put it over the nest. And thank you once again for your patience with me and the great advice you always give.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
Okay great. So any suggestions on how to protect the site without limiting her access to it? As I don't think the bird cage top will work then. She won't be able to go back there if I put it over the nest. And thank you once again for your patience with me and the great advice you always give.
Does she literally nest in the exact same spot each time?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Basically yes, to my knowledge that is. As that is where I found most of the babies I have. In fact Harry the last one, I had the bird cage there and he was inside.
It is dark now but I'll take a better photo of the spot tomorrow. This is the egg that she laid on the 17th December and come to think of it she lay another one the very next day. But it is near a drain pipe and there is paving to the right. There is a drum on top of the drain to catch rain water. But basically this is the spot. 20171217_163925.jpeg