Chia Salvia Hispanica

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, Texas
Does anyone know if this tyoe of Chia is safe for tortoises? I bought a small bag of seeds in case they were safe. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 1419694038611.jpg
    1419694038611.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 13

Iochroma

5 Year Member
San Francisco
Yes, but usually tortoises will avoid aromatic plants like Salvias; I would not bother to offer it.

sissyofone

10 Year Member!
San Antonio, Texas
What I was really wanting to do with it is plant it in the enclosure.. So its safe they will just probably avoid eating it? Right. Thanks for your help.

Blkjkoknhrt

I've had good luck feeding chia. It's on several plant lists, sprouts fast and fun to watch your tort eat. I sprout it in a thin layer of soil (less than 1" covered with about 1/2 inch wood chips). Keep it very damp and under medium light it will sprout FAST. It grows through the chips and if you pick the right container, you can put your tort right on the dish and let him graze on his own.

Once the crop has been eaten, just reuse or toss out the growing media and start over.

But it DOES matter what your tort likes. For example, mine won't eat parsley or white chard.

More pics to come - a new harvest will be ready by Friday. I'll send a new post with pics to this thread (Diet) asking a question.

Good luck

Attachments

• IMG_0800.JPG
    IMG_0800.JPG
    3.7 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0741.JPG
    IMG_0741.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 11