Chiapas Musk Turtle

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Somewhere in Florida
One of the mud/musk turtles I've always wanted to keep is the Chiapas musk turtle, Staurotypus salvinii. I had a giant Mexican musk turtle, Staurotypus triporcatus a long time ago and he was a neat animal to maintain. A few friends of mine who breed both species have been telling me that if anything, the Chiapas musk turtles are even more interesting to have than S. triporcatus. So I finally broke down and purchased a salvinii that was a couple of months old last year at the Expo in Daytona Beach. After looking thru a group of about a dozen I came home with this little guy. Here he is showing off the cute personality that these turtles are known for...

When I say 'cute' it is relative. A dinky little turtle that acts like a Tyrannosaurus rex is cute. But when that turtle becomes large you start to use other words to describe them.
Here are some photos of him as he grew during the past year.

The bulbous orange nose is typical of the Chiapas musk turtle.
These are incredibly responsive turtles and within a short period of time they become real beggars for food. Whenever they see you they tend to paddle back and forth in their tank expecting you to feed them. So you have to be cautious and not feed them too much as many individuals of both S. triporcatus and S. salvinii become obese in captivity.

This year I decided to pick up a couple more neonates to raise and see if I could end up with a pair. This past March I was given a new hatchling by Eric Holt of Empireoftheturtle.com.
Then two weeks ago I visited my friend Jason Bourque at the University of Florida's Paleontology Department. Jason is not only a fossil turtle expert, but he is also a top notch turtle keeper and like Eric Holt he too produced some S. salvinii this spring. Here is Jason in his lab with the holotype of the extinct mud turtle, Kinosternon skullridgescens that he described last year.

The actual specimen...

This is the little salvinii from Jason. He is showing what has to be one of the most typical behaviors of these little monsters.

The pattern on the plastron when very small is interesting but as the turtles grow it eventually becomes a dull yellow.

The turtle from the Expo last year has turned out to be a male. Hopefully Jason's turtle or the one from Eric Holt will be a female. But if they are both males, well, I guess I'll just have to raise a few more!

Sulcata_Sandy

5 Year Member
Pacific NorthWET
Thanks post posting and the information, very interesting read.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
SenjiSandy said:
Thanks post posting and the information, very interesting read.

Sandy in Oregon
Veterinary Technician, 21 years of critter luvin'
Schlomo aka "Mo" the rescue Sulcata, "man without a face"
"Larry" the Golden Greek..adopted
Dexter and Lola (Basenjis...show dogs extraordinare)

No kids, no husband, just critters and I'm happy.
Sent from my iPad using TortForum mobile app

Thanks and you're welcome

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
I don't see these or mexican musk turtles available much. Are they rather hard to find? They sure look cool

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Millerlite said:
I don't see these or mexican musk turtles available much. Are they rather hard to find? They sure look cool

Both species of Staurotypus are frequently available as hatchlings--which is the size you want to start with. I see them at the various reptile shows and if you check turtle classifieds you will find that a few dealers have them from time to time.

Anthony P

10 Year Member!
Swamps, bogs, and vernal pools
Wow, what a great thread!

I hadn't heard of Eric Holt in quite a while. He had an awesome thing going for a good while with his website, but it seems he hasn't touched it in a few years.

Cool to see that you've got these guys. I wish you a lot of luck with them. Keep up the good work!

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
Anthony P said:
Wow, what a great thread!

I hadn't heard of Eric Holt in quite a while. He had an awesome thing going for a good while with his website, but it seems he hasn't touched it in a few years.

Cool to see that you've got these guys. I wish you a lot of luck with them. Keep up the good work!

Thanks Anthony.
Eric is going nuts producing thousands (literally) of hatchling turtles and tortoises now so his website hasn't been updated for a while. Plus, I think the expense of keeping it running is a drag.
Will you be in Daytona nest week?

Status
Not open for further replies.