Chicago River Snapping Turtle in the news

SinLA

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Los Angeles
In case people have missed this video (the commentary from the kayakers is worth the watch along) and article: Meet ‘Chonkosaurus,’ the Thick Snapping Turtle Stealing Hearts

>>Chris Anchor, a senior wildlife biologist with the Forest Preserves of Cook County, said that the turtle is female — and most likely “loaded with eggs.”

On the day the video was taken, he said, Chonkosaurus might have been sitting on a bunch of bollards and chains because she wanted her eggs to warm up and mature.

The turtle is probably about 50 years old and has finished hibernating, Mr. Anchor said.

While he did describe Chonkosaurus as “very large,” the snapping turtle is not among the largest he’s seen. Mr. Anchor, who sees around 300 to 500 turtles every year through his work, said the species can weigh as much as 60 pounds.

Though it’s difficult to tell in the video, Mr. Anchor guessed that Chonkosaurus weighed around 40 pounds.

What was more noteworthy, he said, was that the video highlighted the health of the Chicago River and surrounding land.
<<<

Last edited:

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
In case people have missed this video (the commentary from the kayakers is worth the watch along) and article: Meet ‘Chonkosaurus,’ the Thick Snapping Turtle Stealing Hearts

>>Chris Anchor, a senior wildlife biologist with the Forest Preserves of Cook County, said that the turtle is female — and most likely “loaded with eggs.”

On the day the video was taken, he said, Chonkosaurus might have been sitting on a bunch of bollards and chains because she wanted her eggs to warm up and mature.

The turtle is probably about 50 years old and has finished hibernating, Mr. Anchor said.

While he did describe Chonkosaurus as “very large,” the snapping turtle is not among the largest he’s seen. Mr. Anchor, who sees around 300 to 500 turtles every year through his work, said the species can weigh as much as 60 pounds.

Though it’s difficult to tell in the video, Mr. Anchor guessed that Chonkosaurus weighed around 40 pounds.

What was more noteworthy, he said, was that the video highlighted the health of the Chicago River and surrounding land.
<<<
Hey no fat shaming. His shell is just too small. Probably got shrunk getting washed

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Yeah she's either carrying eggs,overweight or bloated and bloating is normally from kidney issues in turtles and tortoises from retaining water but normally turtles or tortoises suffering from kidney issues are lethargic and not very active and that snapper looks alert so I doubt it's the kidney issues some parasites/worms cause tortoises/turtles to bloat up also

JTH

5 Year Member
East Lansing, MI

<<<
Looking at the turtle and the way the skin is stretched, I would say that the people who think this turtle is sick are correct. It certainly looks bloated, not fat, and I suspect edema or even a pneumothorax. Could be an infection or other cause, it would take a veterinary workup to be sure. I've seen large females about to deposit large clutches of eggs, and they don't look like this due to eggs.

Ricky j

Wisconsin
Looking at the turtle and the way the skin is stretched, I would say that the people who think this turtle is sick are correct. It certainly looks bloated, not fat, and I suspect edema or even a pneumothorax. Could be an infection or other cause, it would take a veterinary workup to be sure. I've seen large females about to deposit large clutches of eggs, and they don't look like this due to eggs.
Ya I keep watching the vid and the more I watch the more I think it's sick and not pregnant

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It's ridiculous how they are making such a big deal about this snapper. They are native to Illinois. My son just caught one last week fishing. He called me for help. He asked what he should do. I said save the turtle. He did, he knows I would be all over his butt if he didn't.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
I can always be wrong but as the biologist said the turtle probably just came out of hibernation. So hence the ashy look because of no sunshine for awhile. The color reminds me of an alligator I saw at the Columbus zoo one year in the spring. I thought it wasn't real but was a cement statue. In reality it was a long time resident just getting a suntan 🐊 I'm pretty sure they've taken good care of it all these years but there's nothing like real uv.